This forum has been archived. All content is frozen. Please use KDE Discuss instead.

Menubar has disappeared from all apps

Tags: None
(comma "," separated)
Third3ye
Registered Member

Menubar has disappeared from all apps

Sun Jan 13, 2013 10:33 pm
Hey there, new at the forum -- for this very reason. The menubar (the standard toolbar which is default in most applications and windows) has disappeared from all applications. It's quite frustrating as I can't access settings to certain apps like konsole and konversation. It happened after I had configured KDE a little and done some visual tweaking and I think it happened first when I was messing around with konsole. Anyways, I've tried everything I could think of to rectify the problem. I've tried right-clicking on an app and toggling "Menubar" (which didn't work as the checkbox just goes on and off with no effect), I've tried using the CTRL+ALT+M keyboard combinations which didn't work, I've deleted the individual user configuration files, I even made a new user to test if it was some settings file I had missed, both which should've worked, but didn't. All to no avail. I've googled around, some people suggesting setting "Desktop Settings" (which isn't even an option in system settings -- so I just set everything to default) which didn't work either. The only thing I haven't tried is downgrading or upgrading KDE, which can be a bit of a hastle since I'm using Arch Linux. But I used KDE in Ubuntu for a little under a week ago and I had the same problem there.

I'm using the latest Arch Linux with KDE Platform Version 4.9.5. If you need anymore info please let me know.

If you're not sure of what I can do to fix this problem please tell me what I can do to understand the problem better, like how to log the components which are responsible for the menubar, so I can post to the bugtracker with something a little bit more substantial than "OMG, my menubar is gone". I'm guessing that it might be a form of self-preservation by KDE since the menubar has completely buggered off, even from a new blank slate user. I'd like to get this fixed as I'm fond of the KDE environment.

In advance: thank you :)
Hans
Administrator
OS
Note that the default shortcut to toggle the menu bar is Ctrl+M (in Konsole it's Ctrl+Shift+M).

Is the menu bar gone in exactly all applications, even e.g. Firefox or LibreOffice (if you use those apps). Have you installed something like kded-appmenu recently?

Problem solved? Please click on "Accept this answer" below the post with the best answer to mark your topic as solved.

10 things you might want to do in KDE | Open menu with Super key | Mouse shortcuts
tele
Registered Member
It happened after I had configured KDE a little and done some visual tweaking and I think it happened first when I was messing around with konsole.

-- Can you try Alt+Shift+F12 ?
This enable/disable desktop effects. IF this working , this is KDE <--> graphics card problem (but desable not fix problem )
-- If you use compiz and problem only with windows, you can try refresh compiz( I don't know command)
With compiz you can use emerald and compiz fusion icon ( If you have in Arch ), this working better than standard windows KDE, because does not disappear when you use compiz.
airdrik
Registered Member
OS
I noticed similar after I installed KDE on top of Ubuntu 12.04 - the implementation of Unity's HUD causes the apps' menus to be forcibly hidden such that ctrl+(shift+) M doesn't bring them back (even when not in Unity - I switched to e17 for a while before actually settling in KDE)
I did some digging and found some Menubar=Disabled settings in various per-app files in ~/.kde/share/config. When you can either remove those lines or replace with Menubar=true and restart the app in question and the menu should show up as normal.

Alternatively, you can install and use the menubar plasmoid (or bespin's XBar plasmoid) which will display the menus from whichever app is currently active.

airdrik, proud to be a member of KDE forums since 2008-Dec.
eticre
Registered Member
OS
hallo
same problem after "play" with E17
reinstall kdebase, kdeplasma qt etc.
del .kde
create new user
restart kwin
nothing...
menubar missed in all apps.
Third3ye
Registered Member
Actually this was fixed _today_... with an update o___o After stressing with this for a week it was finally fixed via repo update. So crisis averted :) Here is the list of apps updated in Arch Linux (and I think the culprit is obvious... though there could be other factors I'm not aware of).
[2013-01-14 20:02] upgraded iputils (20121126-1 -> 20121221-1)
[2013-01-14 20:02] upgraded xfsprogs (3.1.8-2 -> 3.1.10-1)
[2013-01-14 20:02] upgraded dialog (1.1_20120706-1 -> 1.2_20121230-1)
[2013-01-14 20:02] upgraded kbd (1.15.3-3 -> 1.15.5-2)
[2013-01-14 20:02] upgraded appmenu-qt (0.2.6-2 -> 0.2.6-3)

I think it might be appmenu-qt... though I could be wrong, as it could also be kbd... and definetly not xfsprogs or dialog. But what do I know? :D Hope this helps. Also I didn't try CTRL+M, but again: the same effect is made in Konsole by right-clicking the screen and showing "Show Menubar", which didn't work at all before the patch. Now both combination and right-click menu works :)

Thanks for all the concern :)
eticre
Registered Member
OS
confirm
fixed after upgrade
bcooksley
Administrator
OS
Marked topic as solved. appmenu-qt could very well be a suspect - the menus would not be shown in the application if it was attempting to display them outside the applications (in the appmenu applet for instance).

KDE Sysadmin
[img]content/bcooksley_sig.png[/img]
osirisgothra
Registered Member
I believe this happens alot in the kde apps, i have found out after exhaustive research, the settings for disabling the menu bars in the "System Settings->Application Appearance->Style->Fine Tuning" section under "Menu Bar" switching it to "Only Export" or something like that, causes the apps to hide their menubars. The problem is, after the setting is changed back to "In Application" it seems like some apps think their menubars should still be hidden and unless the application has it's own user-accessible setting to turn the menubar on/off, there is only one way to re-enable it, and it involves doing the following (at least, for me it did) find the offending applications config file, in this example we will work with kate which has no builtin option for turning the main menu on/off:
1) fire up your terminal, assuming you are starting in your home directory (aka "~") if not just type:
Code: Select all
cd ~

2) find kate's config file, i used this:
find -name *kate*rc

3) i think most config files used in kde apps are in ~/.kde/share/config, in this case the kate one was in
~/.kde/share/config/katerc

4) find the line starting with "MenuBar=" which will probably read
MenuBar=Disabled

5) change that line to
MenuBar=Enabled

6) make sure you do this when the application is NOT running, else it'll just save right back over it
7) start your application to verify the menu is now there...
8_) repeat for any other applications in kde that are doing this, config files and option names might differ depedning on the application

And again make sure the [ system settings -> application appearance -> style -> fine-tuning -> menubar style ] is changed back to "In Application" before attempting. I didn't have to restart the window manager for any of this but if you have problems that might be required in some cases.

Thats about all! i think it should at least point everyone in the right direction, hope this helps!
- osirisgothra
http://kickass.to/user/osirisgothra to ck/o the qo/d @ 6-18 -> 7-18 each day 7am(ish) (EST)

WARNING!
you could use a magic command line if you are confident enough, using a combination of find, grep and sed, to fix up all your config files, or go one step further making a script to check and fix config files without knowing the filenames in advance, but like i said, that requires confidence that you wont go destructively changing files around, this is why I purposely did not offer a magic command because they are often destructive in the wrong hands and I just wanted to illustrate what the problem was, how you fix it is entirely up to you. Of course this solution is not correct for everyone, but I hope at least some of you are helped by it.
bcooksley
Administrator
OS
Depending on the application, the key sequence Ctrl + M often works to re-enable the menu bar as well.

KDE Sysadmin
[img]content/bcooksley_sig.png[/img]
wiggin
Registered Member
I have had the same problem (i was making some visual tweaking also), but searching for quite a while in google i found this source where explain clearly what is happen

http://www.webupd8.org/2013/02/how-to-e ... title.html

i when to: System Setings > Style > and in Menubar Style have selected In Application

Thats has work for me-
hermantowawan
Registered Member
Two questions for you:

1. What setting is shown against Menubar style? Mine says "In application".
2. Have you tried resetting that screen to the default settings with the "Default" button?

I Am Still Learning About KDE
hyorisakura
Registered Member
what about if you move that file entirely and allow kate to create a new config file.

$ mv ~/.kde/share/config/katerc ~/.kde/share/config/katerc.old

Also, i haven't used this, but isn't the menubar systemwide, and not specific to KATE?

Love Anime
catherinewilson
Registered Member
1. change the setting in system settins to "In application"
2. vim.tiny ~/.kde/share/config/katerc
3. Change the line "MenuBar=Disabled" to "MenuBar=Enabled" (or just delete the line)
4. start kate -> still no menubar

try creating a new user account -> here everything works just fine
jandon
Registered Member
bcooksley wrote:Marked topic as solved.

Really? It's seven years later and this problem is still present.
Thank you @osirisgothra for showing this manual remedy of disappearing menus, a thing that shouldn't exist at all, at least not without a flawless implementation.
Removing the menu from the application... :|