This forum has been archived. All content is frozen. Please use KDE Discuss instead.

Announcements on desktop during boot & after

Tags: None
(comma "," separated)
HensBestEffort
Registered Member
It is a privilege to have these forum and feedback opportunities, and I hope I can waste everyone's time as little as possible.

1. APPROPRIATE FORUM SECTION?
My topic is desktop behavior during boot and the handling of system announcements to the user in the lower right hand corner of the desktop. There appears to be no forum section for any of the bold-faced terms ("desktop" "boot" "announcements"). This suggests that the policy for choosing forum sections (only specific apps?) should be expanded.

2. ANNOUNCEMENTS GO BY TOO FAST
At any time, but especially after boot, user announcements flash by in the lower right-hand corner of the desktop too fast to read them. Please give some thought for turning a frustration to the user into an opportunity for discovery (discovering how to use and love Kubuntu and wanting to convert all your friends).

(a) Put the user in control. The announcement does not disappear until I tell it to. If you must clear the desktop real estate, collapse the announcement into a red dot, and leave the array of dots there for me to click/expand/dismiss each one.

(b) Never make an announcement without at least one hint of what to do about it. What door of discovery does the announcement open up? You do not have to be definitive. You do not have to be correct in all cases. You could say, "Sometimes the application "NAME" is useful here." A link to documentation would be great. You can even rotate the hints-on-announcements to change them each time a given announcement appears. Remember: you want people to discover how wonderful the development team is on their own. Shock and awe is not the way to launch new users **towards** the edifice that has been built. You must beckon with the tools for self-mastery. Make any sense?

With thanks,
HensBest
bcooksley
Administrator
OS
This issue is a topic for the workspace forum, so i've moved it there.

I believe these "announcements" you are referring to are called "notifications". Plasma Desktop in this case is just displaying them - and does not know where they come from unless the application includes that information. For notifications from the system itself, there may not be an application.

For them disappearing too quickly - most persist and can be displayed again by clicking the notifications applet icon, in the system tray. Depending on your setup it may be in the "Hidden Icons" area though.

KDE Sysadmin
[img]content/bcooksley_sig.png[/img]