This forum has been archived. All content is frozen. Please use KDE Discuss instead.

Unlock issue: Delay in lock screen to see password window.

Tags: lockscreen lockscreen lockscreen
(comma "," separated)
jdiez
Registered Member
When I lock my screen (WINDOWS+L, since I have changed the default shortcut at Global Keyboard Shortcuts), I have to wait (2 minutes or more) to see the password window to be able to unlock the terminal.

More info:
KDE 4.12.1 on Ubutnu Saucy x64 kernel 3.11.0-15-generic
I have changed my wallpaper, when I lock the PC I can see the default (blue and srtipes) wallpaper empty (no passowrd window).
I have "simple locker" selected and 300 secods to "ask for password"
I have different PC at home with same OS and kernel (but different hardware) and I have got the same problem.
jdiez
Registered Member
I have timed the delay and it is exactly 300 seconds (the setting I have fixed to "ask for password" on my lock screen settings window).

I have tried 20 or 5 secons on that setting and it is the time my lockscreen delays to show the password window.

In my opinion it is still a bug, since the lockscreen does not show the password window even if I move my mouse or type anything in the keyborad (default behaviour before 4.12.1 upgrade).

However, with this "workarond": (setting "1 second" ) has solved the problem to me.
bcooksley
Administrator
OS
This is quite unusual. Can you reproduce this under a new user?
Thanks for posting the workaround by the way - it will be quite helpful if anyone else encounters this issue.

KDE Sysadmin
[img]content/bcooksley_sig.png[/img]
jdiez
Registered Member
I have created a new user.
I have logged in with that user, and I can not reproduce the issue anymore.
There must be something wrong with kde configuration in my normal user.
Thanks for your support.
bcooksley
Administrator
OS
Okay. To begin with I would suggest searching for any files matching the pattern "screensaver" or "locker" under ~/.kde4/share/config and moving them elsewhere. Then logout and back in again and try to reproduce the issue.

KDE Sysadmin
jdiez
Registered Member
I have done:
cd
cd .kde4/share/config
grep -ira "locker" --> no results
grep -ira "screensaver" --> 1 matching result: File kscreensaverrc
mv kscreensaverrc $HOME
logoff
login again
lockscreen

The issue is still there. (I changed the setting "ask for password after" 30 seconds, and I had to wait 30 second in my lockscreen for the passworod window to appear).
bcooksley
Administrator
OS
Please remove the contents of /var/tmp/kdecache-$USER/ and /tmp/kde-$USER/ outside of KDE.

KDE Sysadmin
joymyr
Registered Member
I've had the same problem with Kubuntu 14.04, KDE 4.12.97, x64 kernel 3.13.0-24-generic. KDE seemed to freeze when i clicked win+L, but I could click i.e. ctr+alt+F1 for a terminal. After about 2 minutes I was prompted for a password, and I could use KDE again. After reading here I checked my .kde/share/config/kscreensaverrc, and found Timeout=60. After setting it to 0 and doing a reboot, the issue was gone. Still don't understand what this setting is, or where to find it in the GUI. And I'm sure the delay was more than 60 seconds as the original value for the timeout setting.
bcooksley
Administrator
OS
In the Screen Locker settings (in System Settings) the 60 seconds value is specified under either "Start automatically after" or "Require password under" (more likely candidate).

KDE Sysadmin
wolfi323
Registered Member
OS
bcooksley wrote:In the Screen Locker settings (in System Settings) the 60 seconds value is specified under either "Start automatically after" or "Require password under" (more likely candidate).

The Timeout value should be the setting "Start automatically after". This is the time period after which the screen is locked/blanked when there's no user action.
"Require password after" is the LockGrace. This time is counted from the moment the screen locker kicks in, and specifies the additional delay in displaying the password dialog/requiring a password.

But both should have no effect when you lock the screen manually.
Needless to say that I don't have this issue here. And I cannot even reproduce it in Kubuntu 14.04 in a VM.

Could you please post the whole kscreensaverrc?

Do you also have the delay when you run:
Code: Select all
qdbus org.kde.screensaver /ScreenSaver Lock