This forum has been archived. All content is frozen. Please use KDE Discuss instead.

Intel graphics very few frames in new UX330UA laptop

Tags: None
(comma "," separated)
JensUhlenbrock
Registered Member
OS
Hello everyone,

I've just bought a new Asus UX330UA laptop with Intel graphics HD620 and installed opensuse Leap 42.2 and the experience so far has been terrible as the display is running with a very low frame rate. Scrolling on websites, changing applications etc. always takes a little while to update the screen. Watching videos is completely infeasible.

Now I've read that the issue has to do with the intel drivers. I've deleted the xf86 intel driver and should be running on the modesetting driver (though I don't know exactly how to check). But this hasn't changed anything. I might already have been on the modesetting driver from the start.

So, would anyone of you know how to help me what to do next? Thank you for any support/ideas!

My system is:
Intel graphics HD620
opensuse Leap 42.2
KDE Plasma 5.83
KDE Frameworks 5.26
Qt version 5.61
Kernel 4.4.49-16 default
Xorg 11.0
OpenGL version 3.0 Mesa 11.2.2
JensUhlenbrock
Registered Member
OS
OK, looks like this one is not so easy. Does anybody have any experience whether this is to be expected with the current status of intel graphics drivers under linux? Because it seems quite extreme that there is no way to even watch very basic video with it.

Over the weekend I will try to update Plasma to the latest stable version and see whether that works. I might also try opensuse tumbleweed as it offers a newer kernel and xorg version. Maybe this will improve things.

If anybody has any further ideas, I would really appreciate it!!!
JensUhlenbrock
Registered Member
OS
Installing tumbleweed has solved the problem - maybe due to the newer xorg, kernel and plasma versions. Would've preferred to stay with leap but this should work for me.