This forum has been archived. All content is frozen. Please use KDE Discuss instead.

Add Firefox Developer Edition to App Launcher in Plasma 5

Tags: None
(comma "," separated)
gpwr
Registered Member
OS
I followed the steps in this article in order to install Firefox DevEd to my Debian system.
Everything in the tutorial worked except for Step 15, which I didn't even bother trying because it's untriable in KDE. Indeed it is a GNOME-specific thing which depends on the Unity Launcher.
My question: How do I add Firefox to the KDE App Launcher, as well as an option for "New Tab", "New Window" and "New InPrivate Window"?
This is as far as I get: Open the KDE Menu Editor and click on "New Item..."
My Firefox executable binary is located in /opt/firefox.
Cheers, and God bless.

--
GPWR
Mamarok
Manager
OS
Isn't that pretty self explaining?
Type the Item name, then click OK. Next select the entry and add a description and a comment (optional btw), then click on the Folder icon next to the Command field and go to the location where your executable is, select it and add the option %u (to make sure that arguments are treated as a single URL). Proceed in the same way for the icon by clicking on the icon field, then browse (at the bottom left) go to the /opt folders where your firefox is and select the firefox icon.
Save all this, close the Editor and that's it.

Running Kubuntu 22.10 with Plasma 5.26.3, Frameworks 5.100.0, Qt 5.15.6, kernel 5.19.0-23 on Ryzen 5 4600H, AMD Renoir, X11
FWIW: it's always useful to state the exact Plasma version (+ distribution) when asking questions, makes it easier to help ...
gpwr
Registered Member
OS
Thank you for your response.

Mamarok wrote:Isn't that pretty self explaining?
Type the Item name, then click OK. Next select the entry and add a description and a comment (optional btw), then click on the Folder icon next to the Command field and go to the location where your executable is, select it and add the option %u (to make sure that arguments are treated as a single URL). Proceed in the same way for the icon by clicking on the icon field, then browse (at the bottom left) go to the /opt folders where your firefox is and select the firefox icon.
Save all this, close the Editor and that's it.

Yes, pretty self-explanatory, but for one part (to me, at least.)
I know it's possible to get those "New Tab", "New Window" and "New InPrivate Window" options when right-clicking in the App Launcher and Task Manager, because native apps such as Konsole have something similar (in Konsole's case, that's "Open a New Window" and "Open a New Tab".) Do you know how to do this? That would be pretty useful, not only for Firefox but for a bunch of other apps as well, especially file browsers and web browsers.
And thank you for the %u tip. I wasn't aware of that. It does come in pretty handy.

Peace.

Our aim has to be the infinite and not the finite. The infinite is our homeland. We have always been expected in Heaven.
—Bl. Carlo Acutis
Mamarok
Manager
OS
I just googled it (Firefox command line command new tab) and found the following:
To open a new tab Firefox expects an URL, to open a blank new tab, the command is
Code: Select all
 firefox --new-tab --url about:newtab

To get a new private Window this should be achieved with the additional -private option:
 firefox %u -private

All this is documented by Mozilla, bzw. Tried here and it worked.

As for other applications: those very likely have documentation online as well, so why not search for it and try it out?

Running Kubuntu 22.10 with Plasma 5.26.3, Frameworks 5.100.0, Qt 5.15.6, kernel 5.19.0-23 on Ryzen 5 4600H, AMD Renoir, X11
FWIW: it's always useful to state the exact Plasma version (+ distribution) when asking questions, makes it easier to help ...
gpwr
Registered Member
OS
Mamarok wrote:I just googled it (Firefox command line command new tab) and found the following:
To open a new tab Firefox expects an URL, to open a blank new tab, the command is
 firefox --new-tab --url about:newtab

To get a new private Window this should be achieved with the additional -private option:
 firefox %u -private

All this is documented by Mozilla, bzw. Tried here and it worked.

As for other applications: those very likely have documentation online as well, so why not search for it and try it out?

Putting those specific commands in the "Command" field just means that the icon in the App Launcher will execute them upon launch. It doesn't give any more options when right-clicking. For example, using the 'firefox %u -private' command just means that clicking on the Firefox shortcut from the App Launcher will open a private window, with no option to do otherwise.
I did find something interesting by checking out Konsole in the Menu Editor, which I know has similar options, as mentioned in my previous post. There are no such additional commands in the "Command" field, so I don't think that'll change anything on that level. It must be a configuration file somewhere.
I would be surprised to find out that Mozilla documented the procedure for every single desktop environment out there, even just for the most popular ones, as there are about a dozen (GNOME, Plasma, Cinnamon, Enlightenment, XFCE, MATE, LXQt, etc.)

Thanks for your response. Looking forward to knowing what you think.

Peace.

Our aim has to be the infinite and not the finite. The infinite is our homeland. We have always been expected in Heaven.
—Bl. Carlo Acutis
Mamarok
Manager
OS
Command line commands are the same on all Linux desktops. And that is actually all you can do, there are no application specific right-click options on Launcher icons, only Launcher specific ones.
You can use the right-click menus in the Task Manager though for Chrome AFAICT. What works on Plasma and KDE native applications using the same Qt codebase is a different question, Firefox is neither.

dzon
Registered Member
You could create a submenu with all the separate options. Headless, newtab, private, kiosk ...etc.. All the options you can dream of.
Furthermore, if you take a look at the executables of a regular firefox in /usr/share/applications, you should notice that there are several desktop actions in there. That should give you an idea, desktop ACTIONS. So if you want those right-click actions, you'd need to adjust the desktop file. If the application for firefox dev ( in /usr/share/applications ) only has one desktop action, you'll only get one desktop action.
So, for example:
[Desktop Action new-private-window]
Name=whatever you like
Exec=/path/to/firefox -private-window
...would need to be in that application file if you want a private window option in your menu.
And if you're planning to only use the firefox development edition, you might as well just change the path ( in your case /opt ) of the firefox executables. If not, you'd need to create a new file in /usr/share/applications with the paths to the dev edition and all the sub actions you want.
Btw, this has nothing whatsoever to do with gtk, qt, firefox or whatever. It is how it works. For firefox, brave, qt, gtk...
And, you can add all kinds of right click actions to all kinds of desktop applications btw. Add some delay function to spectacle? Done. Start Brave on a given url? Done. Start Firefox dev in private window? Done. Add a bunch of playlists to open with Audacious? Done. Doesn't matter. Once you know how, there are hardly limits.

This realm's name is Maya. And she speaks Hertz. But Ahamkara makes a fuzz about it.
gpwr
Registered Member
OS
dzon wrote:You could create a submenu with all the separate options. Headless, newtab, private, kiosk ...etc.. All the options you can dream of.
Furthermore, if you take a look at the executables of a regular firefox in /usr/share/applications, you should notice that there are several desktop actions in there. That should give you an idea, desktop ACTIONS. So if you want those right-click actions, you'd need to adjust the desktop file. If the application for firefox dev ( in /usr/share/applications ) only has one desktop action, you'll only get one desktop action.
So, for example:
[Desktop Action new-private-window]
Name=whatever you like
Exec=/path/to/firefox -private-window
...would need to be in that application file if you want a private window option in your menu.
And if you're planning to only use the firefox development edition, you might as well just change the path ( in your case /opt ) of the firefox executables. If not, you'd need to create a new file in /usr/share/applications with the paths to the dev edition and all the sub actions you want.
Btw, this has nothing whatsoever to do with gtk, qt, firefox or whatever. It is how it works. For firefox, brave, qt, gtk...
And, you can add all kinds of right click actions to all kinds of desktop applications btw. Add some delay function to spectacle? Done. Start Brave on a given url? Done. Start Firefox dev in private window? Done. Add a bunch of playlists to open with Audacious? Done. Doesn't matter. Once you know how, there are hardly limits.

This solves it. I found the same solution described in the "Create a Desktop Launcher" section of this article.
Thank you for your answer and all the useful information it provides!

Peace.

—Bl. Carlo Acutis
dzon
Registered Member
Just make sure to list them under Actions= in the desktop file, otherwise they..well..won't be listed. And like I said, the principle is the same for all kinds of stuff. Limitless really..

This realm's name is Maya. And she speaks Hertz. But Ahamkara makes a fuzz about it.