This forum has been archived. All content is frozen. Please use KDE Discuss instead.

KDE Power Toys (Microsoft Power Toys but in KDE Plasma)

Tags: None
(comma "," separated)
abnhl
Registered Member
If there is someone who does something good, try to do it yourself. Microsoft Power Toys is giving Windows many interesting tools and I know that Plasma has many of them (and even better) like KRunner but there are others that Plasma doesn't have and it would be nice if they were implemented natively, one of the ones I would like to see would be the option to right click and resize images, or the option to batch rename. I have seen the forums about this, in one of them it was commented that for the option to resize images there were already third party solutions which I tried (at least several) but they worked of course they did, but they did not do it so well, I reduced several images and when comparing the quality (in the same size) the ones produced by Power Toys had better quality, same size but more quality (less noise and less pixelated), they do the job but not so well. Some of these third party solutions may present some problems as they are not native solutions and sometimes they may even be left unsupported in time, things that would not happen (or would happen less) if they were natively supported by the Plasma environment.
I also understand that resources are limited, possibly it is not feasible to allocate resources to that task, or at least from scratch, I say this because the Microsoft Power Toys project has MIT license, which is part of the KDE Plasma licenses.
dzon
Registered Member
No idea what tools you used if you say that they turn out more pixelated or whatever. Linux as a whole has tons more options for image editing and I'd be very surprised that a service menu ( for example) like reimage would produce poor quality, if at all. https://imgur.com/a/FZG7YU8 As far as batch rename goes, it comes by default in dolphin and if you want more extensive, there are tools like krename. https://imgur.com/a/uwOvzRe
As for the third party thing, not all the power toys are made by microsoft. Some are made by a third and approved. There's no way of telling they'll keep being supported. And ad far as servicemenus go, I'd say that, in my case, 25% are third party. The rest is made by myself. I'm just saying, once you know your way around some stuff ( mind you, I'm no scripter at all) you can be the maintained third yourself.

This realm's name is Maya. And she speaks Hertz. But Ahamkara makes a fuzz about it.