This forum has been archived. All content is frozen. Please use KDE Discuss instead.

Enabling / disabling desktop effects in KDE4

Tags: None
(comma "," separated)
orez
Registered Member
OS
I had a similar problem vis-a-vis toggling compositing in a newly installed version of openSUSE 11.2. The Alt+Shift+F12 key combination was completely unresponsive. The following worked for me:

System Settings:Keyboard & Mouse:Global Keyboard Shortcuts
KDE Component: KWin
Search: Composit
Custom key: Meta+F12

That key combination toggles compositing on and off. The problem might be with the xkb keyboard software, which was updated recently, not handling some Alt+Shift combinations.

Hope this helps.
bepaald
Registered Member
OS
Rufy wrote:I just worked out how to do this using qdbus. There's a function you can call with qdbus that toggles compositing, and by querying another function you can see if compositing is currently enabled and then disable it. Something like this:

Code: Select all
RESET="false"
RESULT=`qdbus org.kde.kwin /KWin org.kde.KWin.compositingActive`

if [ "$RESULT" = "true" ]
then
  RESET="true"
  qdbus org.kde.kwin /KWin org.kde.KWin.toggleCompositing
  sleep 2
fi

#
# put your commands to run with compositing disabled here
#

[ "$RESET" = "true" ] && qdbus org.kde.kwin /KWin org.kde.KWin.toggleCompositing

This script will detect if compositing is enabled, and if it is it will disable it. Then it will run your command. Once that is done, it re-enabled compositing if it was enabled when you ran the script. Otherwise it leaves compositing disabled.

Enjoy!

Thanks man! Since the last mplayer update for Fedora, vsync will suddenly only work with twinview if compositing is disabled (vsync and twinview used to work fine together :?), so I was looking for this again. I remebered I posted here long ago, but now finally I find an answer!
ilj
Registered Member
OS
Try the solution described here:

http://horizonsplit.wordpress.com/2010/ ... g-in-kde4/

I noticed that after tuning KWin as described in that post reduced flickering big time. I think it jsut might do the same for you.