This forum has been archived. All content is frozen. Please use KDE Discuss instead.

KDE 4.2 - Where do I find my computer information? (please answer asap...)

Tags: None
(comma "," separated)
justina1989
Registered Member
I just upgraded to KDE 4.2 and was wondering where I can go to find my computer information, such as RAM, and other details about it. I have been looking around for a while now and cant find it... I can't remember my computer info... even though I've had it for three years... I'm pitiful :-(

I figured that much out-but what about the rest of my laptop's info?? I am trying to tell someone all about it (ex: 80 GB Hard Drive, 1 GB RAM, Broadcom 802.11g Wireless card... i really need to get into details, including the hardware installed.

Last edited by justina1989 on Sun Jan 11, 2009 5:29 am, edited 1 time in total.
sayakb
Administrator
OS
Open KMenu -> Applications -> System -> System Monitor and click on system load tab. You can see under "memory and swap history"

or .. type at konsole:
Code: Select all
free -m
[hr]
After the subject is now changed, you can also view other info by adding a widget. You can do that by clicking the cashew Image (top right corner), click Add Widgets and add the "System monitor -- Hardware info" widget.

Last edited by sayakb on Sun Jan 11, 2009 5:29 am, edited 1 time in total.

YeahReally
Registered Member
OS
Or the sysinfo:/ kio slave

Debian GNU/Linux Lenny
KDE 4.1.96

How many bugs have you triaged today?
sayakb
Administrator
OS
sysinfo:/ KIO slave does not exist for Kubuntu.

akoskm
Registered Member
OS
Type in konsole:
hwinfo --short

^^ it can be very long. :) For very detailed information just type without the --short option.
Good luck.

XiniX
Registered Member
OS
or launch kinfocenter

XiniX, proud to be a member of KDE forums since 2008-Oct.
bcooksley
Administrator
OS
If you want really detailed information about your hardware ( such as revision, capabilities, etc ) you could run both
lspci -v
lsusb -v

KDE Sysadmin
[img]content/bcooksley_sig.png[/img]
Per
Registered Member
justina1989 wrote:I just upgraded to KDE 4.2 and was wondering where I can go to find my computer information, such as RAM, and other details about it. I have been looking around for a while now and cant find it... I can't remember my computer info... even though I've had it for three years... I'm pitiful :-(

I figured that much out-but what about the rest of my laptop's info?? I am trying to tell someone all about it (ex: 80 GB Hard Drive, 1 GB RAM, Broadcom 802.11g Wireless card... i really need to get into details, including the hardware installed.

kinfocenter
pansz
Registered Member
OS
justina1989 wrote:I just upgraded to KDE 4.2 and was wondering where I can go to find my computer information, such as RAM, and other details about it. I have been looking around for a while now and cant find it... I can't remember my computer info... even though I've had it for three years... I'm pitiful :-(

if you want to send a text file about your hardware configurations: use the following:
sudo lshw > hw.txt

if you want to see it yourself, just use kinfocenter
alte_esel
Registered Member
OS
Could one of you please tell me how to find out which one I have (32bit or 64bit) I`m using suse11.1 KDE4 4.2.

Thank you be so kind for helping me out:-).

Alte_esel
TheBlackCat
Registered Member
OS
Open up the software installer, do a search for "cpp", click on it, then select the "versions" tab. If there are any versions that say X86_64, then you are using a 64-bit installation. If there aren't, you are using a 32-bit installation.

Man is the lowest-cost, 150-pound, nonlinear, all-purpose computer system which can be mass-produced by unskilled labor.
-NASA in 1965
alte_esel
Registered Member
OS
TheBlackCat wrote:Open up the software installer, do a search for "cpp", click on it, then select the "versions" tab. If there are any versions that say X86_64, then you are using a 64-bit installation. If there aren't, you are using a 32-bit installation.

I just download KDE4 liveCD 64bit and I will burn on a cd.Then I can see if it`s work,if is working then I know that my computer support 64Bit.

Thnx to everyone for helping me out:thumbs_up:

Alte_esel
alte_esel
Registered Member
OS
alte_esel wrote:
TheBlackCat wrote:Open up the software installer, do a search for "cpp", click on it, then select the "versions" tab. If there are any versions that say X86_64, then you are using a 64-bit installation. If there aren't, you are using a 32-bit installation.

I just download KDE4 liveCD 64bit and I will burn on a cd.Then I can see if it`s work,if is working then I know that my computer support 64Bit.

Thnx to everyone for helping me out:thumbs_up:

Alte_esel

Now I know I have 64-bit and I`m sorry guys I didn`t have time to let you know, my Family is first:-)

I`ll thank you everyone in this thread those whow trying to help me out.Thanks again:thumbs_up:

Alte_esel
Camden
Registered Member
OS
Try the KDE Control Center Homepage... It displays some tech. Info ;-)
Otherwise... What Distro Are You using? If you are using Fedora or a Red Hat distro, Try the Anaconda installer and probe all the hardware than reboot your computer. (DON'T INSTALL THE DISTRO AGAIN)

Last edited by Camden on Wed Mar 04, 2009 3:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
BEEDELLROKEJULIANLOCKHART
Registered Member
OS
akoskm wrote:Type in konsole:
"hwinfo --short"

That doesn't appear to show my motherboard. Any ideas?

https://askubuntu.com/a/179959/1002900