This forum has been archived. All content is frozen. Please use KDE Discuss instead.

KDE compositing not working when external monitor connected

Tags: None
(comma "," separated)
rickz
Registered Member
Hey everyone,

I have KDE 4.3 with Fedora 11 on my laptop with Nvidia 8400M graphics card (with proprietary Nvidia driver). It runs perfectly. However when I connect my external monitor to my laptop, and choose the twin view mode in nvidia-settings, the compositing stops working (90% reproducible). When I press Alt+shift+f12, both screens turn white and become non-responsive. Any one has some advice? Thanks a lot!

Rick
TheBlackCat
Registered Member
OS
Which nvidia driver version are you using? Are you using dynamic twinview, or using nvidia-settings to configure your xorg.conf file?

Man is the lowest-cost, 150-pound, nonlinear, all-purpose computer system which can be mass-produced by unskilled labor.
-NASA in 1965
rickz
Registered Member
TheBlackCat wrote:Which nvidia driver version are you using? Are you using dynamic twinview, or using nvidia-settings to configure your xorg.conf file?

Hi, my Nvidia driver's version is 185.18.31. I am configuring twinview everytime I connect the monitor, and I did not save it to xorg.conf
jorge.birck
Registered Member
OS
Im still having this problem here. With kde 4.2 and Kubuntu 9.04, it works fine.

But when im using kubuntu 9.10 fresh install and kde 4.3, i try to activate dual monitors (twinview) with nvidia-settings , but the plasma crash when i activate the effects. Using Nvidia GeForce 7000M with nvidia drivers 185 or 190.

The problem only happens when i change the view with nvidia-settings. If i start kdm with pre configured twinview, it works fine.

Can i help with some log?

Thanks.
bcooksley
Administrator
OS
Can you please install the appropriate debugging packages ( libqt4, kdebase-workspace-plasma, kdelibs5 ) and generate a backtrace?

KDE Sysadmin
[img]content/bcooksley_sig.png[/img]
jorge.birck
Registered Member
OS
I think the problem is with the Plasma; i can configure the twinview without problems, but plasma crash when i turn the Plasma Effects on (my two monitors stay white). It reapers if i turn the effects off (ALT+SHIFT+F12).

No erros in kdm and/or xorg's logs. "The problem only happens when i change the view with nvidia-settings. If i start kdm with pre configured twinview, it works fine."

-------

jorge@laptop:~$ gdb nvidia-settings 2>&1 | tee gdb_nvidia.txt
jorge@laptop:~$ cat gdb_nvidia.txt
GNU gdb (GDB) 7.0-ubuntu
Copyright (C) 2009 Free Software Foundation, Inc.
License GPLv3+: GNU GPL version 3 or later <http://gnu.org/licenses/gpl.html>
This is free software: you are free to change and redistribute it.
There is NO WARRANTY, to the extent permitted by law. Type "show copying"
and "show warranty" for details.
This GDB was configured as "x86_64-linux-gnu".
For bug reporting instructions, please see:
<http://www.gnu.org/software/gdb/bugs/>...
Lendo símbolos de /usr/bin/nvidia-settings...(no debugging symbols found)...concluído.
(gdb) run
Starting program: /usr/bin/nvidia-settings
[Thread debugging using libthread_db enabled]
Program exited normally.
jorge.birck
Registered Member
OS
The crash handler window did not appears. I think that the plasma-desktop did not crashes, cause when i press ALT+****+F12 , the screen returns. I have installed this package, what can i do now? Seems that the process creates a child process:

jorge@laptop:~$ gdb plasma-desktop
GNU gdb (GDB) 7.0-ubuntu
Copyright (C) 2009 Free Software Foundation, Inc.
License GPLv3+: GNU GPL version 3 or later <http://gnu.org/licenses/gpl.html>
This is free software: you are free to change and redistribute it.
There is NO WARRANTY, to the extent permitted by law. Type "show copying"
and "show warranty" for details.
This GDB was configured as "x86_64-linux-gnu".
For bug reporting instructions, please see:
<http://www.gnu.org/software/gdb/bugs/>...
Lendo símbolos de /usr/bin/plasma-desktop...Lendo símbolos de /usr/lib/debug/usr/bin/plasma-desktop...concluído.
(no debugging symbols found)...concluído.
(gdb) run
Starting program: /usr/bin/plasma-desktop
QDBusObjectPath: invalid path ""
QLayout: Attempting to add QLayout "" to QWidget "", which already has a layout
findServiceByDesktopPath: /home/jorge/.kde/share/apps/RecentDocuments/images.desktop not found
findServiceByDesktopPath: /home/jorge/.kde/share/apps/RecentDocuments/01 Marcus Garvey Time.mp3.desktop not found
findServiceByDesktopPath: /home/jorge/.kde/share/apps/RecentDocuments/02 God Bless.mp3.desktop not found
findServiceByDesktopPath: /home/jorge/.kde/share/apps/RecentDocuments/03 The Race.mp3.desktop not found
findServiceByDesktopPath: /home/jorge/.kde/share/apps/RecentDocuments/04 Guts.mp3.desktop not found
findServiceByDesktopPath: /home/jorge/.kde/share/apps/RecentDocuments/05 Rich Man, Poor Man.mp3.desktop not found
findServiceByDesktopPath: /home/jorge/.kde/share/apps/RecentDocuments/06 No Wrong Idea.mp3.desktop not found
findServiceByDesktopPath: /home/jorge/.kde/share/apps/RecentDocuments/07 Follow the Rainbow.mp3.desktop not found
Object::connect: No such signal SystemTray::Manager::jobStateChanged(SystemTray::Job*)
Unrecognized character: /
ERROR: syntax error
QGraphicsGridLayout::itemAt: invalid index 0
QGraphicsGridLayout::itemAt: invalid index 2
QGraphicsGridLayout::itemAt: invalid index 6
Invalid D-BUS interface name 'org.kde.plasma-desktop.PlasmaApp' found while parsing introspection

Program exited normally.
(gdb)
bcooksley
Administrator
OS
Plasma Desktop is a unique application, meaning only one instance of it can run at a time. Therefore it automatically forks itself during startup.

To stop the automatic forking:
Code: Select all
plasma-desktop --no-fork

KDE Sysadmin
jorge.birck
Registered Member
OS
Ok! :

Starting program: /usr/bin/plasma-desktop --nofork
QDBusObjectPath: invalid path ""
QLayout: Attempting to add QLayout "" to QWidget "", which already has a layout
Object::connect: No such signal SystemTray::Manager::jobStateChanged(SystemTray::Job*)
[New Thread 0x7fffd7b5c910 (LWP 1897)]
ERROR: syntax error
QGraphicsGridLayout::itemAt: invalid index 0
QGraphicsGridLayout::itemAt: invalid index 2
QGraphicsGridLayout::itemAt: invalid index 6
[New Thread 0x7fffd6ae2910 (LWP 1898)]

When i activate the second monitor (screen) via nvidia-settings (twinview), no logs; when i turn on the effects: no new log in the gdb :(
bcooksley
Administrator
OS
This looks like one of those bugs that for unknown reasons will never occur when the application is run by a debugger.

One thing you could try is to normally run "plasma-desktop --no-fork" and try to crash it then. The crash handler should appear.

KDE Sysadmin
jorge.birck
Registered Member
OS
The problem is that the plasma-desktop didnt crash. When i turn on the effects, my two screens go white, then i turn off the effects (ALT+SHIFT+F12), the screens returns.

I started the plasma-desktop --nofork , but no new log when i turn on the second monitor and activate the composite.

Thanks.
jorge.birck
Registered Member
OS
"... but the plasma crash when i ..."

I was wrong, the plasma DONT CRASH.

Like "rickzou" sayed: "and choose the twin view mode in nvidia-settings, the compositing stops working (90% reproducible). When I press Alt+shift+f12, both screens turn white and become non-responsive"
TheBlackCat
Registered Member
OS
What graphics card and driver are you using?

Man is the lowest-cost, 150-pound, nonlinear, all-purpose computer system which can be mass-produced by unskilled labor.
-NASA in 1965
bcooksley
Administrator
OS
Judging by the use of "nvidia-settings" a NVidia card is in use. Can you please make sure the latest drivers available for you card have been installed? ( Check with their website, not the repositories )

KDE Sysadmin
jorge.birck
Registered Member
OS
Yes, i have tried this with nvidia's site lastest driver and with the ubuntu .deb drivers. Same problem...:

"...Using Nvidia GeForce 7000M with nvidia drivers 185 or 190..."