This forum has been archived. All content is frozen. Please use KDE Discuss instead.

New User .kde4 @ 2nd login - Icons/widgets misplaced

Tags: None
(comma "," separated)
thekernel
Registered Member
OS
I want to start with a new .kde4 profile on my main box. I rename the existing one. Re-login to create new .kde4
All looks fine. But at next login all the icons and widgets in the panel are all over the place. This happened with my Laptop too. I notice the geometry in the config files are all set to 0 0.

So I try again and check the config geometry at first login and they are fine
eg: geometry=0,2,36,36

But re-login and it's all 0's

Using the config desktop, you can make it look all so pretty, move stuff around, but at next login:-(

Writing occurs to: /.kde4/share/config/plasma-appletsrc
during desktop config
ie; applets added on desktop or panel are added to the config files, but the geometry is all 0's

Somehow? I eventually managed to get it working.

But my desktop box has been running kde4 from 4.0 and some of the systray icons are a bit odd looking - blurry and slightly transparent (kmix & Korganizer)

Additionally, adding widgets to my current working kde4 desktop is a pain, they don't stay put. At next login they all migrate to top left.

Any ideas please. I'm new here, but not to kde or linux. Thanks.

bcooksley
Administrator
OS
If you are running KDE 4.0 I would recommend that you upgrade to KDE 4.1. This sounds like a bug with regards to retrieving and storing the appropriate geometry.
I run KDE 4.1 and are not affected by this. KDE 4.1 is an extremely large improvement on KDE 4.0 anyway, and is well worth the upgrade.

KDE Sysadmin
[img]content/bcooksley_sig.png[/img]
thekernel
Registered Member
OS
bcooksley wrote:If you are running KDE 4.0 I would recommend that you upgrade to KDE 4.1. This sounds like a bug with regards to retrieving and storing the appropriate geometry.
I run KDE 4.1 and are not affected by this. KDE 4.1 is an extremely large improvement on KDE 4.0 anyway, and is well worth the upgrade.

I said
esktop box has been running kde4 from 4.0

But my sig:
kde4.1.2

sorry I wasn't very clear

bcooksley
Administrator
OS
It may have been a bug introduced by the openSuSE back-porting and will probably already be fixed if this is the case, so try updating to the latest KDE 4.1 available in KDE:KDE4:Factory ( I am assuming you are running openSuSE 11.0 here )

KDE Sysadmin
[img]content/bcooksley_sig.png[/img]