This forum has been archived. All content is frozen. Please use KDE Discuss instead.

KDE keeps messing up my panel elements and icons.

Tags: None
(comma "," separated)
Joseppi
Registered Member
OS
Why does KDE keep messing up my main panel? And how can I fix this problem?

Every time I reboot or log out and back in, the KDE main panel gets all messed up, icons are moved around with some on top of another. The digital clock moves from the far right where I set it. The system tray moved to a new location. The "K" (start) button gets covered up with other icons. So, I have to manually reset everything, again. But then, when I log out and back in, everything gets all jumbled up again. This same problem occurs on two different systems, both with the latest updates and the latest version of KDE as shown in the screen captures below.

Kubuntu: http://www.upquick.com/temp/panel.jpg
PCLinuxOS: http://www.upquick.com/temp/kde4panel.jpg
google01103
Manager
couple q's:

- which task manager are you using (icon-only, fancy or smooth)? does changing it help?
- version of KDE?
- does this happen to a new user?
- is the panel maximized? if not does maximizing help?

OpenSuse Leap 42.1 x64, Plasma 5.x

Joseppi
Registered Member
OS
Please excuse my ignorance, but I don't know how to do these things:

> - which task manager are you using (icon-only, fancy or smooth)? does changing it help?
How can I determine which task manager is being used and how to change it?

> - version of KDE?
How can I find which version number I have? (as far as I know it is the latest KDE4)

> - does this happen to a new user?
I am the only user. So I don't understand this question.

> - is the panel maximized? if not does maximizing help?
I don't know what this means. How does one "maximize" the panel?
google01103
Manager
[quote="Joseppi"]Please excuse my ignorance, but I don't know how to do these things:

> - which task manager are you using (icon-only, fancy or smooth)? does changing it help?
if you click on the cashew (right end of panel) then right click on the task manager it will say "remove this _________"

> - version of KDE?
How can I find which version number I have? (as far as I know it is the latest KDE4)
in a KDE app -> help -> about KDE

> - does this happen to a new user?
I am the only user. So I don't understand this question.
if you create and login as a new user does this issue still occur

> - is the panel maximized? if not does maximizing help?
I don't know what this means. How does one "maximize" the panel?
it's maximized if it takes up the length of the screen, click the cashew -> more settings -> maximize panel[quote]

google01103
Manager
re: which task manager running - looking closer it seems you don't have one and that all the icons are individual app launchers - correct? the taskmanager would show which apps are currently loaded

Joseppi
Registered Member
OS
google01103 wrote:re: which task manager running - looking closer it seems you don't have one and that all the icons are individual app launchers - correct? the taskmanager would show which apps are currently loaded

I just tried to add "task manager" and it covers up my entire panel so I could not click on *anything* on the panel.

So what should I do now to try to get this panel-disarray problem corrected?
google01103
Manager
If you right click the task manager widget can you remove it?

Strange task manager should not cover your entire panel - I would suggest you reset you plasma desktop (which includes the panel)

this script backups the existing config by moving the plasma files and when plasma is restarted the desktop is reset to the defaults
Code: Select all
kquitapp plasma-desktop
 sleep 20s
 mkdir -p $HOME/plasma-config/
 mv $(kde4-config --localprefix)/share/config/plasma-desktop* $HOME/plasma-config/
plasma-desktop &

grindz
Registered Member
Hello,
I'm using Ubuntu 12.10 with latest updates and run kdm+KDE on it.
I have dual monitor configuration with NVIDIA proprietary driver (304.51).

My issue is the same as described in this topic.
When panel is standard and system is just installed then everything is Ok but after the panel customizing with some widgets it's not keeping their locations after reboot.

KDE is 4.9.4, Qt is 4.8.3
Panel is maximazed.
I cannot determine which type of task manager I'm using. After above decribed steps
----
- which task manager are you using (icon-only, fancy or smooth)? does changing it help?
if you click on the cashew (right end of panel) then right click on the task manager it will say "remove this _________"
----
I see a dialog with following content.
Remove panel-Plasma Deskt...

Do you really want to remove this Panel?

Does it uncover a type of task manager?

Even after I replace my digital clock witdget to the right side of the panel, a calendar widget is still showing in the top center place of the screen. It's the same place the clock widget is replacing after each reboot.

Thank you.
Joseppi
Registered Member
OS
I've never been able to get my panel stabilized either.
It keeps scrambling everything every time I log-out and back in again or reboot.
There are lots of posts on the 'net about this ongoing problem for years.
You would think that surely KDE should have been able to get this issue corrected by now.

I've done new installs with kubuntu and linux mint plus all updates, and all the panels continue to get scrambled repeatedly. Even after attempting to unscramble and get icons into a viewable sequence, another restart and it all gets scrambled up again. Even just adding a new app to the panel doesn't work right.
Today, I added libre office writer to the panel, and it put the icon *under* another icon. See this snapshot:

http://www.upquick.com/temp/mintpanel1301.jpg
Sundance Kid
Registered Member
OS
I've never seen that behaviour before in the default KDE panel. It looks like the issue predominantly happened in Ubuntu and Mandriva based distros by the looks of it though. Which is what you're both using (ubuntu/kubuntu/Mint and PCLOS 32 bit).

Did you try the last thing google01103 mentioned?

You've only got two task managers readily available in +Add Widgets usually. The default one is called "Task Manager" and the other one is called "Icon Only Task Manager". All you do is "Unlock Widgets" click the Cashew. Put the mouse cursor over the Task Manager area and a pop-up should appear saying "Task Manager" with a X on the right to delete. Delete it. Then click +Add Widgets and go and find "Task Manager" (using scroll bar) and drag it to the panel middle.

Does it work ok now?

If not, then do the same again and try dragging the "Icon Only Task Manager" into the panel middle. Does that work??

If not you need to do what google01103 mentioned in his last post.
grindz
Registered Member
Actually, I don't keep any task managers on the panel, which is messed up.
I created a layout, which is looking like Gnome 2.
Top panel keeps menu, application quick start launchers, notification area, tray, clock, etc. This panel is messing up.
Bottom panel is for task manager, show desktop, switch desktop, etc.
I need to separate these panels because I usually have a lot of applications opened and when everything is in one panel it's looking like a mess.
I cannot use similar application grouping in task manager either. I need quickly switch between many similar applications, like terminals, browsers and others and if I can see some part of window titles it helps to switch very fast.

So Task Manager type is not an issue.

I'll try to check the idea about buggy KDE in Ubuntu/Mandriva in my Arch Linux instalation but later.
Sundance Kid
Registered Member
OS
Top panel keeps menu, application quick start launchers, notification area, tray, clock, etc. This panel is messing up.

So you got no task manager in that panel. Have you used any spacers to separate things?
aburak
Registered Member
Same problem here in Manjaro; frustrating.
bcooksley
Administrator
OS
Does this occur if you have two panels or just the single panel?

KDE Sysadmin
[img]content/bcooksley_sig.png[/img]
aburak
Registered Member
I have single panel.