This forum has been archived. All content is frozen. Please use KDE Discuss instead.

How to globally activate ShowAppsByName

Tags: None
(comma "," separated)
petej
Registered Member
OS
Hi there,

I run Kubuntu Precise with KDE SC 4.8.5 which shows the Apps in the Kickoff by GenericName.

I noticed how to change this for a single user in ~/.kde/share/config/plasma-desktop-appletsrc

Is there also a way to switch to ShowAppsByName for all users once and for all?
toad
Global Moderator
OS
Please test:

When creating a new user settings from /etc/skel are used, i.e. you should be able to copy that file (incl. path) in /etc/skel, set up a new user and the contents of that file should be taken into account :)

Debian testing
petej
Registered Member
OS
I'd like to change the global KDE default and not mess around in each and every users account.
toad
Global Moderator
OS
That was my understanding - and the answer is designed to do just that. Did I not express myself clearly? Feel free to ask if there is anything you are uncertain of...

Debian testing
petej
Registered Member
OS
Dear Toad,

I will try to clarify by this analogy: Suppose you have the binary CoolProg and like to make it available for every user.
  • I'd put it in /usr/local/bin - that is true global change, independent of users
  • Your proposed solution is like copying CoolProg in /home/$user/bin for each and every user account seperately. Miss one account and your up for troubleshooting.
Catch my drift?
toad
Global Moderator
OS
Nope, I don't catch your drift. Are you saying that already have a bunch of users and need to adjust their settings? My proposed solution would only affect new users - and there is no "messing around in each and every users account."

http://www.linfo.org/etc_skel.html
http://www.linuxhowtos.org/Tips%20and%2 ... g_skel.htm
http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1478648

Debian testing
petej
Registered Member
OS
Of course the system has already 100+ users and I don't want to overwrite their plasma-desktop-appletsrc's.

Global - by my defintion - means NOT in the users home directory. Gotta be /usr or /etc.

I actually expected there was some config file in /usr/share/kde4/config or something that does the trick.
toad
Global Moderator
OS
Of course the system has already 100+ users and I don't want to overwrite their plasma-desktop-appletsrc's.

Oops, I've obviously forgotten my crystal ball :D

Whatever, now things are clarified I still cannot think of another way than copying that file to the different accounts. Still not problematic and for new ones simply stick it in /etc/skel

But I may be wrong of course and others have the solution which suits your taste.

Debian testing
google01103
Manager
I think you'd need to write a script that adjusts your users rc file
something like:
- has it been adjusted
- is the option already enabled
- add the line in appropriate place
- comment that the file has been adjusted
- save the file
- make sure permissions have not been changed
Placing it in something like /etc/bashrc or /et/profile should force start the script (me thinks)

But the idea of globaly changing your users settings in the background is not a good idea even if everything goes smoothly you'll have users upset that you unilaterally affected their familiar workflow, it would be better to post a motd suggesting that if interested they could could follow the provided steps to make the change if they so desired - obviously my opinion

OpenSuse Leap 42.1 x64, Plasma 5.x

bcooksley
Administrator
OS
I would suggest writing an administrative javascript file to perform the adjustments in this case.
I believe they are only run once for each user, and will totally dodge the configuration file manipulation problem. It will be executed on their next login.

To start on this path, I suggest referring to the documentation on Plasma Configuration via Javascript for Distributors and Administrators on KDE Techbase ( http://techbase.kde.org )

KDE Sysadmin
[img]content/bcooksley_sig.png[/img]
petej
Registered Member
OS
Guys, what do we have here!? Everyone suggests changing the users rc files. That's fine if it's your private laptop, but bad practice if you're a medscale network sysadmin.

I thought I'll go to the KDE forum to talk to the guys who really know there way around the KDE source code and can tell me, which global config file is queryed before plasma has a look at the users rc's. No KDE developers reading this?
google01103
Manager
try irc or the dev mailing list

OpenSuse Leap 42.1 x64, Plasma 5.x

toad
Global Moderator
OS
And petej, just for the record, if you strike the same tone there as you did here I wouldn't blame the devs for kicking you off the list.

State your case clearly. If your desired solution is not available don't shout at devs or others willing to give advice for free but write the necessary code yourself. Remember what OpenSource is about.

Debian testing
bcooksley
Administrator
OS
Note that my solution in this instance will apply *globally* to all users on their first login.
Users will be able to change it after this, and if you need to revise the setting you can remove and add a replacement javascript file. Users desktops will once again run this new file on next login.

Due to the nature of how Plasma works, one cannot simply have a single global rc file to edit here, as the applets (and indeed the panels as well) may be numbered differently depending on which user you are looking at. If you were to use a single global rc file, this would lead to a hit and miss approach, where it would apply to some users but not others.

Plasma Desktop Javascripting is intended for use by system administrators to customise Plasma to suit their environment - which is what you are trying to achieve here.

KDE Sysadmin
[img]content/bcooksley_sig.png[/img]