This forum has been archived. All content is frozen. Please use KDE Discuss instead.

Panel not displayed at bottom

Tags: None
(comma "," separated)
edunagin
Registered Member

Panel not displayed at bottom

Tue Nov 04, 2008 11:18 pm
I am running Kubuntu 8.10 with KDE 4.1.2.

My panel is displayed on the top of the screen and will not move to the bottom. When I call up a new panel, it only appears as a blank panel at the top of the screen covering the first panel.

Originally the panel was at the bottom and top but the bottom one disappeared.
Also the bottom panel displayed a desktop configuration that I used to select 4 desktop in two rows. That appear ok and seemed to work fine and then it disappeared.

Alas, also when i minimize a terminal, it disappears. I can find it by moving the cursor to the right and/or left. But it does not appear in the top panel, of course not in the bottom panel for there is none there.

edunagin, proud to be a member of KDE forums since 2008-Nov.
Bozeman, MT
LL: 406-556-7282
Cell:406-570-0992
neverendingo
Administrator
OS

RE: Panel not displayed at bottom

Wed Nov 05, 2008 12:00 am
(The thread in which you posted this doesn't seem to have something todo with this, so i splitted it)

edunagin wrote:I am running Kubuntu 8.10 with KDE 4.1.2.

My panel is displayed on the top of the screen and will not move to the bottom. When I call up a new panel, it only appears as a blank panel at the top of the screen covering the first panel.

If you can't move the panel, make sure that your widgets aren't locked. Right-click on any free space on the desktop and use "unlock widgets" (if they are locked).

Also the bottom panel displayed a desktop configuration that I used to select 4 desktop in two rows. That appear ok and seemed to work fine and then it disappeared.

Alas, also when i minimize a terminal, it disappears. I can find it by moving the cursor to the right and/or left. But it does not appear in the top panel, of course not in the bottom panel for there is none there.

Maybe you don't have the task manager added to the panel?

New to KDE Software? - get help from Userbase or ask questions on the Forums
Communicate.
edunagin
Registered Member

Wed Nov 05, 2008 7:27 pm
neverendingo wrote:(The thread in which you posted this doesn't seem to have something todo with this, so i splitted it)

edunagin wrote:I am running Kubuntu 8.10 with KDE 4.1.2.

I did discover that when I have a Kmenu at the bottom of the screen and another Kmenu at the top. then when I place a widget on the top or bottom panel, they appear on each panel.

If you can't move the panel, make sure that your widgets aren't locked. Right-click on any free space on the desktop and use "unlock widgets" (if they are locked).

Yes. I made sure they were not locked. It seems to me that putting a panel also at the top of the screen creates most of my problems. But I don't know what to do expect to reinstall
Kubuntu. But this approach is really getting old, for I have reinstalled Kubuntu fore or five times and getting an ISO file to burn from different sites. (sigh)

Maybe you don't have the task manager added to the panel?

Yes, in fact I had it installed but it disappeared and would not reappear.

I am using the Live-cd right now and am contemplating what to do next.:-O

Funny I did not receive email notification of your response.( as I understood this system, it was supposed to notify me by email)

Peace......................ed

edunagin, proud to be a member of KDE forums since 2008-Nov.
Bozeman, MT
LL: 406-556-7282
Cell:406-570-0992
neverendingo
Administrator
OS

Wed Nov 05, 2008 11:16 pm
Did you try already to backup the plasma config while not logged in? (move .kde/share/config/plasmarc and plasma-appletsrc to another name or place.)
Then login again. You should now have a fresh and clean desktop.

For the notifications, under your answer you see a link, either it is called Unsubsubscribe or Subscribe to this thread. If it's called Subscribe, then your standard subscription method is wrong. See in the User CP.

New to KDE Software? - get help from Userbase or ask questions on the Forums
Communicate.