This forum has been archived. All content is frozen. Please use KDE Discuss instead.

'Taskbar' panel : glow at bottom edge : Howto disable, where

Tags: None
(comma "," separated)
tyreed
Registered Member
OS
Hello,
Since KDE 4.5'ish (at least) (opensuse 12.1) at the bottom edge of of the 'Task bar' (panel with kickoff, clock, pager, tasks, systray etc) there is a Blue Glow that appears when I get near it (the 'taskbar').
    I've changed the desktop theme, window decoration and the widget style.
    I've changed Every color in the Application Appearance > colors section so there is No blue.
    I've changed the ~/.kde4/share/apps/desktoptheme/WhatEverTheme/ glow.svgz and task.svgz files so there is No 'glow' or a different color.
    I changed from 'branding-opensuse' to 'branding-upstream' several versions ago and I think that's when it changed to blue (from os green).
    I've even gone as far as to change my hover and focus colors to match this blue so that it seemed like it's part of 'my theme'.
But.... the glow remains. From KDE 4.3,.. .4.6,.. 4.10 .... now 4.11.4
    Why???
    Where is it defined?
    How do I get rid of it..
    or.... change the color?
-click for larger image

I run my desktop with the taskbar on the Top edge, Hidden and the 'Glow' is big enough that if a window, eg, Yast2 opens snapped to the top of display (monitor) it is sometimes next to impossible to grab the windows title bar because the glow interferes just enough. Fortunately I have the option to 'grab windows from any empty space' enabled.

Any ideas? I've been trying to solve this issue of mine for 2, 3 maybe 4 years now...

Additionally, is there Anywhere I can find a 'howto' or tutorial or developer manual on how to build my own theme? I would think there has to be a 'manual' or wiki that spells out All the files it takes, where what is defined (styled) and what does what in building a theme. There are a lot of parts and just as many *.svgz and config (rc) files. Which one does what and .... Anyone know?
I finally have a grasp on 'window decoration' is different files than 'window theme' and different than style > widget style and 'icons' are different than the 'system tray' icons from 'desktop theme' which I think are also the icons used in toolbars like konqueror...

Hope this is clear enough to get a handle on what I'm asking for..
Thanks,
Reed.
tyreed
Registered Member
OS
SysAdmin... Sorry, I don't know how I posted this question twice...
Reed.
metzman
Registered Member
OS
Unsure, try disabling "Screen Edge" from "System Settings -> Desktop Effects -> All Effects -> Screen Edge"

Re: Themes... Take a look on http://techbase.kde.org/Welcome_to_KDE_TechBase
Try this for starters... http://techbase.kde.org/Development/Tut ... asma/Theme
tyreed
Registered Member
OS
metzman wrote:Unsure, try disabling "Screen Edge" from "System Settings -> Desktop Effects -> All Effects -> Screen Edge"
Try this for starters... http://techbase.kde.org/Development/Tut ... asma/Theme

Thank you...

it's a 'glow' on the Taskbar, no matter what desktop theme is used...
Again, the only change i've ever seen on this 'glow' is I i use openSuse branding it's 'opensuse green' and if I use 'upstream branding' , it's 'kde blue'

I'll figure it out some day.
Thanks for the guide link,
toad
Global Moderator
OS
What about:

systemsettings - workspace appearance - window decorations - oxygen - configure decoration - shadows - disable active window glow?

Debian testing
luebking
mikolajstirner
Registered Member
toad wrote:What about:

systemsettings - workspace appearance - window decorations - oxygen - configure decoration - shadows - disable active window glow?

Can confirm this is it
TheRiddick
Registered Member
Sorry for necro but this actually was a Kwin Desktop Effects for me called Screen Edge and would mostly affect the panel and was quite annoying.

This is enabled by default and is something I must deal with everytime I install plasma,. Its one of those low hanging fruit issues that will never be resolved. (like disabled by default)