This forum has been archived. All content is frozen. Please use KDE Discuss instead.

Howto: Recently used

Tags: None
(comma "," separated)
oldmanriver
Registered Member

Howto: Recently used

Tue Jan 21, 2014 6:07 pm
All,

I have two occurances of "Recently Used" lists on my laptop Kubuntu machine. The first is a flyout menu item from the "Launcher Menu" (lower left corner), which is the 3rd item up on the menu (this I want to keep). The second appears as a list above the menu items in the "Launcher Menu" (which I must eliminate, as causing menu issues).

So what I need to know in HOWTO form is:
  • Howto delete the second list (I only want the flyout list),
  • The current list is only 9 items and as an active developer need this to be 20-30 items or more,
  • The list does not show any of the recently used items I use with extensions .php, .sh, etc. How do I add the right extensions to this tracker so I can actually see all files I've worked on?

All help appreciated!

OMR
bcooksley
Administrator
OS

Re: Howto: Recently used

Wed Jan 22, 2014 11:02 am
Can you please provide a screenshot of your menu? You should be able to use KSnapShot's timer feature to capture this.

KDE Sysadmin
[img]content/bcooksley_sig.png[/img]
wolfi323
Registered Member
OS

Wed Jan 22, 2014 12:53 pm
oldmanriver wrote:Howto delete the second list (I only want the flyout list),

IIUYC, you mean the "Recently Installed" submenu.
You can disable it in the launcher's settings (right-click on it and choose "KMenu Settings").

The current list is only 9 items and as an active developer need this to be 20-30 items or more,

AFAIK the number of items is hardcoded to 10. You would need to change the source code and compile it yourself, if you want to set it to a different value.

The list does not show any of the recently used items I use with extensions .php, .sh, etc. How do I add the right extensions to this tracker so I can actually see all files I've worked on?

Which KDE version are you using?

There was a bug in KDE 4.11.0 in that those items got saved into a wrong directory, making the feature not work at all.
This should be fixed with 4.11.1 though.
https://bugs.kde.org/show_bug.cgi?id=323747
google01103
Manager

Wed Jan 22, 2014 1:29 pm
To increase the list of recently used documents install "kio recent document" http://kde-apps.org/content/show.php/ki ... ent=145878

OpenSuse Leap 42.1 x64, Plasma 5.x

oldmanriver
Registered Member

Tue Jan 28, 2014 12:35 am
wolfi323 wrote:IIUYC, you mean the "Recently Installed" submenu.

No absolutely not! I wrote exactly what I meant, I have 2 copies of "Recently Used:" exact duplicates, one is a flyout, which I want to keep as it shows only 1 line on the menu, but the other that appears directly above the menu, when it pops up, (above this Recently Used is the Recently used Apps). I have no "Recently Installed"!

AFAIK the number of items is hardcoded to 10. You would need to change the source code and compile it yourself, if you want to set it to a different value.

No I can count and it is 9, not 10. No one should ever have to change source to change a config item, which this clearly is, so not touching any source, at least not yet!

Which KDE version are you using?

Kubuntu 12.04 with KDE 4.8.5! I can not use later OS or KDE as this laptop wifi hardware is not yet supported by newer versions so Wifi will be dead on newer versions.

Cheers!

OMR
bcooksley
Administrator
OS

Tue Jan 28, 2014 4:05 am
Can you please provide a screenshot of the menu? It will help to identify where this errornous item is coming from.

KDE Sysadmin
[img]content/bcooksley_sig.png[/img]
wolfi323
Registered Member
OS

Tue Jan 28, 2014 10:56 am
oldmanriver wrote:
wolfi323 wrote:AFAIK the number of items is hardcoded to 10. You would need to change the source code and compile it yourself, if you want to set it to a different value.

No I can count and it is 9, not 10. No one should ever have to change source to change a config item, which this clearly is, so not touching any source, at least not yet!

Well, it's 10 here.

But I just had a look at the source code, and it is indeed configurable (with 10 as default), but I don't think there's a GUI way to change it.
Add something like that to ~/.kde/share/config/kdeglobals: (or change it accordingly if that group already exists)
Code: Select all
[RecentDocuments]
UseRecent=true
MaxEntries=2

You have to change the value of MaxEntries to your preference of course.
With UseRecent=false you could disable it completely, UseRecent=true can be omitted since it's the default.

Or just use kwriteconfig to change it:
kwriteconfig --group RecentDocuments --key MaxEntries 15

To disable it:
kwriteconfig --group RecentDocuments --key UseRecent false

You may have to logout/login for the change to have effect.

oldmanriver wrote:
wolfi323 wrote:Which KDE version are you using?

Kubuntu 12.04 with KDE 4.8.5!

OK, that "Recently Installed" submenu I mentioned didn't exist in 4.8.5 yet. (at least not in standard KDE, it got added in 4.11)

But I am not aware of any "Recently Used flyout" as you describe it either.
So please post a screenshot as bcooksley suggested.
wolfi323
Registered Member
OS

Tue Jan 28, 2014 11:29 am
wolfi323 wrote:But I am not aware of any "Recently Used flyout" as you describe it either.

Ah, I think you use the "Classic style", right?
Right-click on the launcher menu icon and choose "Application Launcher Menu Settings".
You can enable/disable those recently used lists there.
What you want to keep is "Recently Used" I think, so disable "Recently Used Applications" and "Recently Used Documents" there,
This also respects the setting I mentioned in my previous post, so that's how you can change the number of "Recently Used Documents".
The number of "Recently Used Applications" can be changed there in "Application Launcher Menu Settings" (under "Options").
oldmanriver
Registered Member

Thu Sep 04, 2014 9:31 pm
wolfi323 wrote:
wolfi323 wrote:But I am not aware of any "Recently Used flyout" as you describe it either.

Ah, I think you use the "Classic style", right?
Right-click on the launcher menu icon and choose "Application Launcher Menu Settings".
You can enable/disable those recently used lists there.
What you want to keep is "Recently Used" I think, so disable "Recently Used Applications" and "Recently Used Documents" there,
This also respects the setting I mentioned in my previous post, so that's how you can change the number of "Recently Used Documents".
The number of "Recently Used Applications" can be changed there in "Application Launcher Menu Settings" (under "Options").

wolfi323,

Sorry have not looked at this for a while, but I added the following to the ~/.kde/share/config/kdeglobals file:

[Recent Applications]
UseRecent=false
MaxEntries=0

[Recent Documents]
UseRecent=true
MaxEntries=20

Can't reboot or logout/login right now as upgrade to 14.04 is in process, net is slow right now on Ubuntu side so telling me 2.5 hours to 12 days to finish upgrade!

Cheers!

OMR
wolfi323
Registered Member
OS

Fri Sep 05, 2014 8:53 am
oldmanriver wrote:Sorry have not looked at this for a while, but I added the following to the ~/.kde/share/config/kdeglobals file:

[Recent Applications]
UseRecent=false
MaxEntries=0

This won't have any effect, and I never said it would.

You should disable the "Recently Used Applications" list in the launcher's settings instead, as mentioned in my previous post.
Those are specific to the applet, not KDE global options.

The [Recent Documents] entry should do what you want, though.
oldmanriver
Registered Member

Sat Sep 06, 2014 4:52 am
wolfi323 wrote:You should disable the "Recently Used Applications" list in the launcher's settings instead, as mentioned in my previous post.
Those are specific to the applet, not KDE global options.

The [Recent Documents] entry should do what you want, though.

wolfi323,

That worked fine, but still only get 5 apps and 10 docs showing in the flyout display and still not all the file types or files I've been working on, particular to .php, which never shows and I do 99% of my work in .php files!

Cheers!

OMR
wolfi323
Registered Member
OS

Sat Sep 06, 2014 9:34 am
oldmanriver wrote:That worked fine, but still only get 5 apps and 10 docs showing in the flyout display

Again, _what_ "flyout display" are you talking about? Please post a screenshot to clarify, as you've been asked to a few times already.

Do you mean the combined "Recently Used" sub-menu?

I had another look at the code, and that combined "Recently Used" code doesn't set how many applications should be shown at all (unlike the "Recently Used Applications"), so the default 5 is used.
You should file a bug report about this. It wouldn't be difficult to fix it, but I don't know whether this is a mistake or on purpose.

The number of recent documents set in the kdeglobalrc should be respected there as well though, it is working here.
I noticed that right after changing the setting it might still show the wrong number, but this should rectify itself after you open one document.
As an alternative you could just clear the history once, by deleting everything in ~/.kde/share/apps/RecentDocuments/. The simple launcher, aka. "classic style", doesn't seem to provide a way to clean it via the GUI. You can in the "Kickoff style" though by right-clicking on the list.

and still not all the file types or files I've been working on, particular to .php, which never shows and I do 99% of my work in .php files!

The file type shouldn't make a difference.
With which applications are you opening the .php files? Maybe they don't support KDE's recent documents feature?
oldmanriver
Registered Member

Tue Sep 09, 2014 12:30 pm
wolfi323,

Can't send you a screen shot of the menu, because have no idea of how to create it as that requires a key capture sequence, which cause the menu to disappear, so can not capture and send.

Cheers!

OMR
google01103
Manager

Tue Sep 09, 2014 12:46 pm
oldmanriver wrote:wolfi323,

Can't send you a screen shot of the menu, because have no idea of how to create it as that requires a key capture sequence, which cause the menu to disappear, so can not capture and send.

Cheers!

OMR

you can use ksnapshot with the delay option to get the screenshot, 3 or 4 seconds should suffice

OpenSuse Leap 42.1 x64, Plasma 5.x

oldmanriver
Registered Member

Fri Sep 12, 2014 8:26 am
google01103 wrote:you can use ksnapshot with the delay option to get the screenshot, 3 or 4 seconds should suffice

google01103,

Have no such app on my computer, since does not come as default! Where is HOWTO, on installing it?

Cheers!

OMR