This forum has been archived. All content is frozen. Please use KDE Discuss instead.

Cannot change desktop folder in KDE 4.1

Tags: None
(comma "," separated)
joecoder
Registered Member
System Settings -> About Me -> Paths no longer saves my changes. I accidentally set my desktop folder to my home folder.

When I change the paths, it asks if i want to move my files to the desktop folder (obviously I don't), and then it appears to save the settings. However, when closing system settings and returning, my settings are unchanged.

Searching around, i found .kde/share/config/kdeglobals in my home folder, with the following settings (among others):
Code: Select all
Autostart[$e]=$HOME/.kde/Autostart/
Desktop[$e]=$HOME/Desktop/
Documents[$e]=$HOME/docs
Trash[$e]=$HOME/temp/trash

Note that i've changed the paths to what I want them to be (can't remember what they were before), but this didn't seem to have any effect either.

Thanks to anyone that can help!
bcooksley
Administrator
OS
What about ~/.kde4/share/config/kdeglobals? I do not have any of those entries you specify below in that file however, probably because I am still using the defaults.

KDE Sysadmin
[img]content/bcooksley_sig.png[/img]
joecoder
Registered Member
I don't have a .kde4 folder. I created a new user and that user didn't either, even after changing some kde settings.

I also tried clearing out those entries in the kdeglobals file to no effect. My Desktop folder still points to ~/

I'm using Kubuntu 8.10 if that makes a difference.
bcooksley
Administrator
OS
Kubuntu uses ~/.kde/ for KDE 4 settings. Your modifications to the file manually may not have had any affect because KDE is not aware of them. Try executing: kbuildsycoca4 in order to apply the settings.

KDE Sysadmin
joecoder
Registered Member
I ran it and got the following output.

Code: Select all
kbuildsycoca4 running...
kbuildsycoca4(6512) kdemain: Reusing existing ksycoca
kbuildsycoca4(6512) KConfigGroup::readXdgListEntry: List entry MimeType in "/usr/share/applications/thunderbird.desktop" is not compliant with XDG standard (missing trailing semicolon).

I then added a ; to the end of the thunderbird desktop icon which fixed that message, but still no success in changing my desktop folder to anything but my home folder. I did notice that the kdeglobals file is updated to whatever i change the paths to in the user paths config dialog. However, neither this dialog nor the desktop folder view will accept the change.
bcooksley
Administrator
OS
are we talking about a folder view on your desktop? If so, you just need to update the settings of the folder view.

First unlock the widgets if they are locked, then hover over the folder view till the controls on the side come out. Click the spanner icon. Ensure the "Location" tab is selected and select "Show A Custom Folder" and use the file picker to browse to your desktop folder.

KDE Sysadmin
joecoder
Registered Member
I noticed that setting, but was hoping to correct the root of the problem, or at least be able to reset it back to the default.
bcooksley
Administrator
OS
In order to return to defaults just delete the lines from the config file in question. Then logout and login again to make sure everything picks it up.

KDE Sysadmin