This forum has been archived. All content is frozen. Please use KDE Discuss instead.

"Warning - Plasma Workspace"

Tags: None
(comma "," separated)
NickElliott
Registered Member
OS

"Warning - Plasma Workspace"

Sun Nov 16, 2008 10:27 am
This message appeared on the panel when I was emptying the Wastebin, admittedly there were a lot of files - nearly 19,000 and over 100GB.

The delete seemed to be taking a long time and when I clicked on the K button to open another app nothing happened, it was then that I saw the message on the panel, but when I clicked on it to find out more nothing was displayed.

I was able to Alt-tab to other windows even though the K button was unresponsive.

I googled the message but found nothing but it was probably warning that the Plasma workspace was low on resources - a surprise as I'm running 8GB RAM on a Core 2 Duo.

Does anyone know what the message was or what I can do to help avoid this happening again?

Thanks

Nick

NickElliott, proud to be a member of KDE forums since 2008-Oct.
aseigo
KDE Developer

RE: "Warning - Plasma Workspace"

Sun Nov 16, 2008 8:35 pm
If this happens again, it would be useful to use alt-tab / ctrl-F# to switch desktops if necessary to get to the window with the Warning in it and record exactly what it said.

aseigo, proud to be a member of KDE forums since 2008-Oct.
NickElliott
Registered Member
OS

Sun Nov 16, 2008 8:54 pm
Ok - I will have a go at replicating this tomorrow and report back.

waldelf
Registered Member
OS

Sun Nov 16, 2008 9:40 pm
same "problem" here.. "warning -plasma workspace" is the message displayed in the task list.. the window content is like "do you really wanna delete all your ****?" then i say "yes" ... "warning - plasma workspace" stays in the taskbar and the window content changes to "progress dialog - Source: Destination:" (nothing else..) the bar is bouncing from left to right. and everything is blocked...

i wait and wait and wait.. and after a few minutes the window is gone and the desktop behaviour turns back to normal.. i don't know if its a problem.. its maybe just slow

Last edited by waldelf on Sun Nov 16, 2008 9:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Kubuntu 12.04 x64 | KDE SC 4.8
Nvidia 8800 GTS | Core2Duo E6600 | 4 GB RAM
bcooksley
Administrator
OS

Mon Nov 17, 2008 2:14 am
I can confirm that using plasma to empty the trash is blocking. It is a bug in the way the Trash Can plasmoid handles emptying the trash. It never crashes plasma, just blocks it from doing anything including repaints.

KDE Sysadmin
[img]content/bcooksley_sig.png[/img]
NickElliott
Registered Member
OS

Mon Nov 17, 2008 11:38 pm
aseigo wrote:If this happens again, it would be useful to use alt-tab / ctrl-F# to switch desktops if necessary to get to the window with the Warning in it and record exactly what it said.

I tried this again by emptying a wastebin of over 100GB.

As before the warning message appeared in the panel but alt-tab / ctrl-F# would not allow me to access the message window and read it in its entirety.

The K Menu was not responsive nor could I use entries in the task bar to switch to other applications that were already open. However alt-tab did allow me to switch to applications that were already open.

I could also switch to a second desktop unfortunately I forgot to check if the K Menu was still working on this one.

Icons on the right of the task bar (plasmoids?) such as KNix appeared to be working ok.

Once the wastebin emptied the warning message disappeared and everything went back to normal.

Anything else you'd like me to try?