This forum has been archived. All content is frozen. Please use KDE Discuss instead.

KDE 4.x, bug fixes?

Tags: None
(comma "," separated)
mzs.112000
Registered Member

KDE 4.x, bug fixes?

Wed Jul 12, 2017 7:03 pm
Not sure if this is the right place for such a question but here goes...

If I were to fix a bug or bug(s) in Plasma 4.x, would I still be able to do a pull request, and would it be able to go into mainline Plasma 4.x?
Basically, if I were to take on the job of continuing support for Plasma/KDE 4.x would I be able to submit changes to the Plasma developers, or would I have to fork and start a new project, like the Trinity Desktop?
a17r
Registered Member
OS

Re: KDE 4.x, bug fixes?

Wed Jul 12, 2017 7:09 pm
I'd say if you don't want to waste your time, try to reproduce any bug you find in Plasma-4 with Plasma-5 and fix it there.

Plasma-4 was not released in 2 years, Qt-4 was not released for even longer, everyone is trying to get as far away from Qt-4 and the swiss cheese that is Qt4WebKit security for as far as possible.
dequire
Registered Member
OS

Wed Jul 12, 2017 7:28 pm
You might check in with one of the distros out there still using KDE 4 (Rosa or Porteus among others, for example) and ask how they deal with fixes they want to push upstream (assuming they want to push any).
tosky
Registered Member

Wed Jul 12, 2017 7:45 pm
dequire wrote:You might check in with one of the distros out there still using KDE 4 (Rosa or Porteus among others, for example) and ask how they deal with fixes they want to push upstream (assuming they want to push any).

The kde-workspace.git repository, which contains the sources of Plasma 4.x (split in more repositories for Plasma 5.x) is closed for writing. So the best thing to do is move forward.

tosky, proud to be a member of KDE forums since 2008-Oct.