This forum has been archived. All content is frozen. Please use KDE Discuss instead.

Dual display disappears from the system settings menu

Tags: None
(comma "," separated)
wcramer
Registered Member
I am using KDE, with opensuse leap 42.3 on a laptop and am subscribed to all regular updates for opensuse, kde, plasma etc. I also use my laptop in a number of different settings involving external displays, sometimes in a docking station with two external displays, sometimes just with one external display connected by VGA, this all changes quite a lot.

For quite some time, I have been used to perfectly control all these things through the system settings menu, under "Display and Monitor". On several occasions now, I have seen that clicking on "Display and Monitor" only brings up a (for me) completely meaningless page with "Screen Locker Settings".

This very annoying because I suddenly cannot adapt my dual display situation anymore to the place where I am.

I have no clue why this happens and I would really want the regular menu to come back as soon as possible. I do not need instructions about how to manually tinker and change those settings, this would cost way too much time in the changing situations I have, I just need that menu back to the system settings please.
wolfi323
Registered Member
OS
wcramer wrote: On several occasions now, I have seen that clicking on "Display and Monitor" only brings up a (for me) completely meaningless page with "Screen Locker Settings".

Apparently you run KDE4's settings on these occasions. (Plasma 5's screen locker settings are in "Desktop Behavior", not "Display and Monitor")

Uninstall kdebase4-workspace-addons to prevent that, or make sure you are actually running systemsettings5.
wcramer
Registered Member
Excellent, your diagnosis was correct. And since I do not know how I would know which systemsettings I use, I did uninstall kdebase4-workspace-addons, rebooted and everything works as it should.

Which raises a secondary question to me: what else could I usefully uninstall in order to have a clean system, maybe everything with "kde" and "4" in it? Or will I risk damaging the system in this way?