This forum has been archived. All content is frozen. Please use KDE Discuss instead.

Openoffice, Plasma and the new Nvidia-Beta 180.08

Tags: None
(comma "," separated)
widux
Registered Member
OS
Hi,

don't know if this is the right place to post this, but everyone having problems with openoffice and plasma with NVIDIA-drivers - it seems that the new beta-NVIDIA-driver 180.08 fixes the "ugly-panel-with-KDE4-compositing-and-oppenoffice bug". Maybe someone can test this!

Greez w.

Scholars.de
sidux "aether" KDE 4.2.4
Kernel: 2.6.30-1-686
Box: Lenovo 3000 N100
Graphics: nVidia G72M [Quadro NVS 110M/GeForce Go 7300] - NVIDIA 185.18.14
WLAN: Intel PRO/Wireless 3945ABG

widux, proud to be a member of KDE forums since 2008-Oct.
aseigo
KDE Developer
i've heard the same thing myself; Sebastian Kugler has been testing this driver with Plasma and has reported excellent results across the board. perhaps we're finally past the nVidia-and-plasma uglyness days! =)

aseigo, proud to be a member of KDE forums since 2008-Oct.
widux
Registered Member
OS
aseigo wrote:i've heard the same thing myself; Sebastian Kugler has been testing this driver with Plasma and has reported excellent results across the board. perhaps we're finally past the nVidia-and-plasma uglyness days! =)

Yep, no problems here with oo.org anymore! Additionally, other desktop-effects work smoother ;)
Thanx for confirming!

Scholars.de
sidux "aether" KDE 4.2.4
Kernel: 2.6.30-1-686
Box: Lenovo 3000 N100
Graphics: nVidia G72M [Quadro NVS 110M/GeForce Go 7300] - NVIDIA 185.18.14
WLAN: Intel PRO/Wireless 3945ABG

widux, proud to be a member of KDE forums since 2008-Oct.
Kryten2X4B
Registered Member
OS
aseigo wrote:i've heard the same thing myself; Sebastian Kugler has been testing this driver with Plasma and has reported excellent results across the board. perhaps we're finally past the nVidia-and-plasma uglyness days! =)

Not quite there yet, but getting there. Or maybe it's just my "weird" setup of a combination of a beta of the distro (OpenSUSE 11.1) plus (pre-)beta of KDE 4.2 (4.1.72) that does it...OpenOffice 3 seeems, so far at least, to behave and hasn't yet made the taskbar flicker. The systray-icons do get artefacts on-and-off but not as frequently as before. As for something not strictly related to plasma...some fonts look kinda "colored". That is, some parts of a given letter looked kinda orangy in kickoff (as just the first place I noticed it). It could of course be because of my modified .fonts.conf file but that doesn't explain why it worked using nvidia 177.82.

Anyway, in a few more revisions of both the driver and everything else I'm sure the kinks will be worked out.

Finally, just wanted to say a big thanks to you and the rest of the KDE devs! While I loved KDE 3.5.x before, I would never be able to go back to it after being spoiled by 4.1 and later!

OpenSUSE 11.4, 64-bit with KDE 4.6.4
Proud to be a member of KDE forums since 2008-Oct.
notmart
KDE Developer
OS
yeah, me too didn't see any of the classic taskbar corruptions with openoffice and mozillas
Mirko
Registered Member
OS
Works much better than the stable release, everything is smooth.
But I still have some annoying corruption on the battery icon in the tray. I can live with it.