This forum has been archived. All content is frozen. Please use KDE Discuss instead.

How to reset KDE 5 to default?

Tags: None
(comma "," separated)
alissonsoares
Registered Member
OS

How to reset KDE 5 to default?

Thu Feb 01, 2018 2:05 pm
Question: How to reset KDE 5 to default? All things that I found on web was about kde4.
I'm on Manjaro KDE Plasma 5.11.5 Kernel 4.14.14-1

The problem: I tried the plasma-browser-integration-git. Everything was fine until a reboot and firefox kde integration plugin gets crazy. I uninstalled this firefox plugin as well as the plasma-browser-integration-git, but then the panels disappeared. I deleted the `/.config/plasma-org.kde.plasma.desktop-appletsrc` and the panel reappeared, but now the app launcher does not work (I'm using plasma search at the moment to run the programs). When I click on it does nothing but restarts the panel.
When I run `kbuildsycoca5` it just returns `kbuildsycoca5 running...`. Running `sudo pacman -S plasma plasma-workspace`, `sudo pacman -Rcns plasma` and then `sudo pacman -S plasma`, or deleting `.kde4` didn't solve the problem.
I created a new user and the panel and app launcher just works fine, but it will take a lot of time and work to configure it again. I don't want to loose my dolphin, Okular and many other configurations, so I think the best solution will be to restore plasma 5 to default instead of migrating to a new user.
[edited] I'm comparing some KDE/Plasma config files between the two users, trying to figure out the differences. e.g. `.config/plasma-workspace/`, `.local/share/plasma` `.local/share/kde`, `.config/plasma`, `.config/kde` does not exists in the new user.
Any tip?

Last edited by alissonsoares on Thu Feb 01, 2018 2:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
david_edmundson
KDE Developer
OS

Re: How to reset KDE 5 to default?

Thu Feb 01, 2018 2:12 pm
system settings -> workspace theme -> look and feel -> click defaults -> check "use desktop layout from theme" apply
alissonsoares
Registered Member
OS

Re: How to reset KDE 5 to default?

Thu Feb 01, 2018 2:20 pm
david_edmundson wrote:system settings -> workspace theme -> look and feel -> click defaults -> check "use desktop layout from theme" apply

Thank you Edmundson,
new user: system settings works fine
old user: system settings founded in plasma-search but it does not open
alissonsoares
Registered Member
OS
When i tried to run systemsettings through terminal
Code: Select all
systemsettings5

it returned me:
Code: Select all
KActivities: Database can not be opened in WAL mode. Check the SQLite version (required >3.7.0). And whether your filesystem supports shared memory
Config timer connecting...
Setting the name of  0x55dfb21b1690  to  "org.kde.ActivityManager.Resources.Scoring"
Creating directory:  "/home/alisson/.local/share/kactivitymanagerd/resources/"
KActivities: Database can not be opened in WAL mode. Check the SQLite version (required >3.7.0). And whether your filesystem supports shared memory

following this thread: https://forums.opensuse.org/showthread.php/512802-Plasma-5-crashes-at-start-up-after-update/page2
then I deleted `~/.local/share/kactivitymanagerd/` restarted Plasma and now everything woks fine.
Problem solved!