This forum has been archived. All content is frozen. Please use KDE Discuss instead.

Control characters when using a different keyboard layout

Tags: None
(comma "," separated)
kde-deshmukh
Registered Member
This has been a problem for a very long time.

I use three keyboard layouts on my computer. A QWERTY English, a Dvorak English and Indian.

When QWERTY English keyboard is selected, if I want to copy something, I need to press Ctrl-C and I actually press Ctrl and C key.

When Dvorak English keyboard is selected, character C is reassigned to key I. So, in order to copy something, I need to press Ctrl-C which translates to pressing Ctrl and I key!

When I select Indian keyboard layout, all keys print devanagari characters. So, in order to copy something, I need to press Ctrl-C which goes back to pressing Ctrl and C key!!

So, only if I select a variant of English keyboard does KDE reassign the control keys.

I find it highly confusing. I think the best behaviour would be to keep the control keys to the letters on the keyboard IRRESPECTIVE of the keyboard selected.

So, EVERY TIME, to copy, one should need to press Ctrl and C key.

Is there a way to implement it?

--
Manjaro KDE. Kernel 4.19.244-1-MANJARO. 64-bit. Plasma 5.24.5. KDE Frameworks 5.94.0. Qt 5.15.4. 8GB RAM and more than 100GB free on the hard disk.