This forum has been archived. All content is frozen. Please use KDE Discuss instead.

How to control KDE from command line?

Tags: None
(comma "," separated)
kaifis
Registered Member
I'm using KDE for one week now. It's nice and everything except battery life, however, I'm not able to find a way of triggering KDE events like decreasing volume or brightness. I used I3 before where I did all myself - so I just called my scripts. But KDE has already bindings on certain actions like after brightness change (rectangle with monitor icon shows up in the middle of the screen). So I want KDE to handle those things. However, I haven't found some convenient way of doing that - I fond few ways of achieving this like calling:
Code: Select all
$ qdbus org.kde.Solid.PowerManagement /org/kde/Solid/PowerManagement setBrightness 50

but that doesn't look like a thing that I was supposed to do. I'm looking for a command like
Code: Select all
$ kde-cli power brightness set 50

I don't care about the length but about documentation for it - like I can imagine that manual for kde-cli could have described almost every action triggerable from outside of plasma.
Thanks for any suggestion and hope this thing is possible.
airdrik
Registered Member
OS
Most of the ways to interact with KDE components through the command-line are going to be DBus calls, so your first command looks like something you would be expected to do. The DBus interfaces are used for both inter-component communication and coordination as well as for (user-)scripted interactions.

KDE/Plasma is a very different, highly complex world compared to the simplicity of a stand-alone window manager like i3. There certainly are trade-offs when switching, but hopefully the additional components that Plasma provides are worth the overhead. If you decide that it's just too much, that's okay too. There are plenty of options available for you to explore.

airdrik, proud to be a member of KDE forums since 2008-Dec.