This forum has been archived. All content is frozen. Please use KDE Discuss instead.

Trying to remove a cashew panel.

Tags: None
(comma "," separated)
scatterbrainz
Registered Member

Trying to remove a cashew panel.

Tue Nov 12, 2019 1:54 am
Greetings Everyone,

I'm kinda new to KDE Plasma. (Versions n' stuffs below). I'm kinda frustrated. I have a friend who keeps raving about KDE plasma, but its driving me bananas. SO I thought I'd give the forum a try and see if I could get some advice and info.

Linux Distro -> Centos 7.7.1908(core)
KDE - Plasma -> 4.14.8 (according to research this is the latest updated version for Centos 7).

I'm trying to create a less busy environment with panels everywhere. Just would like 1 main one. That said.

#1. How do I remove text from icons in the panel - have it icons ONLY?
#2. How do I remove that activities widget (red/blue/green dot)?
#3. How do I remove that cashew Desktop panel top right corner of every display I have (there's 2x display).
(apparently there's no spot to add an image here)?

Much appreciate the info and help. Its a little confusing trying to install themes and everything - I'm sure its a learning curve, might take a bit of time.

Best Wishes,

-Scatterbrainz
airdrik
Registered Member
OS
#1 - switch to a different task manager widget. When you right-click on the space beside the taskbar entries, you should get options for configuring the Task Manager and one for Alternatives.... Click on Alternatives... and then pick Icons-only Task Manager.
#2 - to remove widgets from the panel, right-click on just about anything on the panel and select Panel Options > Panel Settings, or click on the Panel Settings button on the right/bottom end of the panel. When the Panel Settings pane comes up, hover over the widget you want to remove and then hit the X in the handle that appears over the widget.
#3 - Right-click on the desktop and select Configure Desktop. Under Tweaks, uncheck Show the desktop toolbox.

airdrik, proud to be a member of KDE forums since 2008-Dec.
scatterbrainz
Registered Member

Re: Trying to remove a cashew panel.

Fri Nov 15, 2019 11:16 am
airdrik wrote:#1 - switch to a different task manager widget. When you right-click on the space beside the taskbar entries, you should get options for configuring the Task Manager and one for Alternatives.... Click on Alternatives... and then pick Icons-only Task Manager.
#2 - to remove widgets from the panel, right-click on just about anything on the panel and select Panel Options > Panel Settings, or click on the Panel Settings button on the right/bottom end of the panel. When the Panel Settings pane comes up, hover over the widget you want to remove and then hit the X in the handle that appears over the widget.
#3 - Right-click on the desktop and select Configure Desktop. Under Tweaks, uncheck Show the desktop toolbox.

Hey Airdrik - thank you so much for reply. I am having difficulty in locating the "configure Desktop" or the "tweaks" menu - maybe their not installed? I'm running Centos 7.7 with KDE build 4.14.8. I've done yum update and it has returned nothing to install. I've included 2 picture files viewable via the following link.

Top - Right - Tool Box (PS I have 2 external monitors so screen shot represents both - hence why there's 2) -->>> https://ibb.co/gWVxMYh
Top - Right -> Right Click -> Default Desktop Settings ->>> https://ibb.co/fM9JVnp

Maybe something is not installed, and thus the menu option is not present? I'm not sure ...

Look forward to your thoughts - and thank you for your efforts.

Best Wishes,

-Scatterbrainz
airdrik
Registered Member
OS
My apologies. I misread your KDE version (not helped by Plasma 5's version numbers having passed Plasma 4's last release).
The responses I gave for 1 and 3 were assuming Plasma 5.

Corrected responses for Plasma 4:

#1 - Remove the Task Manager widget, using the method I described above for #2, and then add the Icons-Only Task Manager widget by clicking Add Widgets from the Panel Settings pane.

#3 - This requires you to install one of the Hide-the-Cashew add-ons to remove it (at least I thought there was more than one such add-on, my google-foo is only turning up one). The one that I can find in searching is: https://www.linux-apps.com/content/show ... ent=145596 which is a debian package, so some adaptation would be needed.

airdrik, proud to be a member of KDE forums since 2008-Dec.