This forum has been archived. All content is frozen. Please use KDE Discuss instead.

Start plasmoid "Folder View" for all users as default

Tags: None
(comma "," separated)
chrisf
Registered Member
Hi,
is it possible to start the plasmoid "Folder View" for a user automatically at the first login?
Adding a file "plasma-desktop-appletsrc" to directory "/usr/share/kde-settings/kde-profile/default/share/config" does not help.

Regrads,
Chris F.
Mamarok
Manager
OS
Which exact Plasma version and distribution do you use?

You should be able to configure the Desktop with Folder View directly, no need for a Plasmoid.

Also, if you install plasmoids and lock them, saving the session so it restarts with the last used session (System Settings -> Desktop Session) it should be there on the next login

Running Kubuntu 22.10 with Plasma 5.26.3, Frameworks 5.100.0, Qt 5.15.6, kernel 5.19.0-23 on Ryzen 5 4600H, AMD Renoir, X11
FWIW: it's always useful to state the exact Plasma version (+ distribution) when asking questions, makes it easier to help ...
chrisf
Registered Member
I'm using CentOS 7.7 with Plasma-Desktop-Shell 4.11.19.
My problem is not to setup one desktop individually. I need a solution to configure the folder view system-wide for all users (at least for their first login).

Regards,
Chris.F
decatur
Registered Member
I have the same issue as I have over 200 users, many of whom are not too savvy. I want folder view for all users by default (and ideally some other configs). I am using Centos 7.7 and plasma 4.10. I tried copying my $HOME/.kde folder to users but when they log in, there are many permission requests to run a akonadi process. These occur only on first login but this will cause a lot of confusion. I tried creating a new user, and modifying it's fresh ~/.kde install to folder view and then copying this to users but the permission requests continue. Is there way to modify what gets copied to $HOME/.kde for new users?
chrisf
Registered Member
[to decatur]:
Files from /etc/skel/.kde will be copied when a home directory is created at first login of a new user. The prepared "plasma-desktop-appletsrc" file will be copied but unfortunately plasma ignores it :-(
At least I had success on the annoying "single mouse click": adding the section "[KDE]" with entry "SingleClick=false" to file "/usr/share/kde-settings/kde-profile/default/share/config/kdeglobals" will disable the option for all new users!

Now I need to find a solution to present some specific desktop icons to new users. I need at least one icon or a panel link to a PDF documentation "How to configure the KDE desktop" to give the new users (coming all from Windows to the Linux world!) to setup their environment.
Any other ideas how to get this with or without FolderView?

Regards,
ChrisF
decatur
Registered Member
I don't have a .kde folder in /etc/skel so there must be a different source for new users.

IF you are in folder view, then the .desktop files in $HOME/Desktop will show up on the desktop, just like in gnome. You can make your own .desktop file or, better, grab one from /usr/share/applications or /usr/local/share/applications and put in the Desktop folder.

But how to get folder view the default? my method - copying the .kde folder from a configured user - does work but, as I said, there are multiple requests to run a process upon first login, which will cause confusion.....
airdrik
Registered Member
OS
Relevant site which explains the /etc/skel directory: http://www.linfo.org/etc_skel.html

In short, yes: copying the .kde directory for a configured user's home into /etc/skel should work. In doing this, you might want to go through and trim the stuff in the copied .kde directory to only those things that you want specially configured for new users.

airdrik, proud to be a member of KDE forums since 2008-Dec.