This forum has been archived. All content is frozen. Please use KDE Discuss instead.

Disable Alt+D key combinations

Tags: None
(comma "," separated)
_zeus_
Registered Member

Disable Alt+D key combinations

Tue Jan 21, 2020 9:56 pm
I would like to disable the Alt+D, Alt+A (Manage Activities) and Alt+D, Alt+S (Desktop Settings) keyboard shortcuts in KDE Plasma 4. I've modified my kglobalshortcutsrc file to have the following entry (there is obviously more, but this is the relevant entry):
Code: Select all
[plasma-desktop]
manage activities=none,Meta+Q,Activities...

Which does successfully eliminate the Meta+Q key combination. However, the Alt combination still exists (Alt+D, Alt+A), and I do not know how to eliminate the Desktop Settings combination (Alt+D, Alt+S).

My setup:
  • CentOS 7.7.1908
  • Kernel: 3.10.0-1062.4.1.el7.x86_64

$ plasma-desktop --version
Qt: 4.8.7
KDE Development Platform: 4.14.8
Plasma Desktop Shell: 4.11.19

As a last bit of info, I used this documentation to look up these key combinations (I know that documentation is from trunk5, but the key combos mentioned still work on my Plasma 4 system). Unfortunately, I am not currently able to upgrade to Plasma 5.

Is there a way to disable these? If there are multiple solutions, my preference would be for modifying the configuration files underneath $KDEHOME.
airdrik
Registered Member
OS

Re: Disable Alt+D key combinations

Wed Jan 22, 2020 7:47 pm
System Settings should have a section for Shortcuts and Gestures where you should be able to find the shortcuts you want to change.
If you can't find the right section, you should be able to try mapping something else to the shortcut you want to remove and it should offer to remove the original shortcut.

airdrik, proud to be a member of KDE forums since 2008-Dec.
_zeus_
Registered Member

Wed Jan 22, 2020 8:06 pm
Yes, the system settings exists for Manage Activities, and defaults to Meta+Q. This is the setting I disabled. There is no entry for Desktop Settings shortcuts.

Additionally, the System Settings GUI does not allow for "multi-stroke keybindings." I am not sure if that is correct term or not, so to clarify, it does not register the Alt+D then Alt+S key sequence. If you click on the input button to register your key combination, it will only register the first of the sequence (so in this case, only Alt+D). If you know of a way to map "multi-stroke keybindings" so I can override this setting, I would be very interested (it's not as simple as just putting a comma in the kglobalshortcutsrc file between key combinations, as the comma is used as a delimiter).

Finally, after some exhaustive grep'ing, the Alt+D, Alt+A/S key combination appears nowhere in any of the configuration files placed under $KDEHOME.
airdrik
Registered Member
OS

Fri Jan 24, 2020 7:32 pm
I am not aware of any multi-key combination shortcuts for the desktop, nor of any way to configure them through system settings.
You can double-check some of your keyboard settings or see if it's something your keyboard or libinput settings are doing (but that's outside my expertise, if someone else knows more about fiddling with that stuff).

_zeus_
Registered Member

Fri Jan 24, 2020 7:59 pm
Thanks for the reply, airdrik. I've worked with libinput before, and I don't think this is a problem there. Especially given that these multi-key sequences are supported on the official KDE documentation, I don't think it's any sort of bug with libinput or a keyboard issue. I'm just not sure how to disable them via configuration.
airdrik
Registered Member
OS

Fri Jan 24, 2020 9:04 pm
ah, I see. Those apply specifically when the desktop has input focus, which is why they weren't triggering when I was trying them before (with the browser having the focus).

Doesn't look like they're configurable through any of the settings GUIs, from what I can tell. Perhaps one of the plasma config files?

_zeus_
Registered Member

Fri Mar 06, 2020 3:35 am
Right, that was my thought as well. I have not had any luck yet finding a solution. I did add:

[KDE Action Restrictions][$i]
action/bookmarks=false
action/options_show_menubar=false
action/options_show_toolbar=false
action/options_show_statusbar=false
action/options_save_Settings=false
action/options_configure=false
action/options_configure_keybinding=false
action/options_configure_toolbars=false
action/options_configure_notifications=false

plasma/allow_configure_when_locked=false
plasma-desktop/scripting_console=false
plasma-desktop/add_activities=false

configuration to my kdeglobals file. I would have thought that "plasma-desktop/add_activities=false" would have prevented me from being able to add activites, but using the Alt+D Alt+A combination, I was still able to successfully create new activities.

Not sure where to go from here except for maybe trying to build plasma myself and patch out this capability.
slaskenfors
Registered Member

Wed Mar 25, 2020 1:36 pm
Hi!
I just want to add that I have the same problem. I'm trying to completely lock down everything for the users. I have added the same action restrictions to my kdeglobals but it does not help.

To lock down everything I have edited everything as I want it for one user, then before logout I copied the following files:
kdeglobals ((set all I can find to =false ))
Kglobalshortcutsrs (( where all global shortcuts are disabled ))
plasma-org.kde.plasma.desktop-appletsrc (( all desktop settings, removed widgets etc ))
Kactivitymanagerdrc (( needed so that plasma-org.kde.plasma.desktop-appletsrc would not be rewritten when I wanted to disable the top right toolbox)
Kactivitymanagerd-statscr (( same as above ))

When I create a new user I use these files instead and it works. However, I still cant disable the basic keyboard shortcuts in KDE! The shortcuts I want to remove are the "Working with the Desktop" in this link https://docs.kde.org/trunk5/en/applicat ... s/kbd.html

I will try to solve this and post again if I find a way to do it. It is really important that I disable these shortcuts. ://

best regards