This forum has been archived. All content is frozen. Please use KDE Discuss instead.

Event (alarm) sound not working

Tags: None
(comma "," separated)
conyia
Registered Member

Event (alarm) sound not working

Fri Jun 25, 2021 1:14 pm
I do not get any sounds when new events are generated on my SCADA system. I think the problem has to do with my kmix settings or probably a bug on Kmix. I am new to Kmix and Linux sound system in general, so please pardon my questions :)

On a normal working condition, whenever a new event is generated on my SCADA system, I hear the alarm sound and when I type Kmix on my xterminal, the KDE mixer control opens up, and then each time a new event is general, this code line >>> >>>" Sink_input_cb : Ignoring sink-input due to it being designated as an event and thus handled by the event slider">>>>>>> keeps executing on my xterminal until the alarm is acknowledged or silenced. This happens when the alarm sound is working.

Now the alarm sound is no more working and when I open kmix from the terminal, new events occur, nothing happens, the lines of code do not execute anymore which was the case for a normal working condition as explained above.

Things I have tried:
1. Checked alsamixer to ensure that my speaker or any playback item was not muted
2. Checked the SCADA display to ensure alerts/alarms were not muted
3. Confirmed that the speaker is on and volume turned up
4. Checked Kmix to ensure output speaker was not on mute and was on the right master channel.

When I do the speaker test from the terminal everything works good but yet I don't get events sound, maybe it has something to do with the event slider? I have run out of ideas now.

NB: I use RedHat Linux, HP PC, KDE, Alsamixer....
Mamarok
Manager
OS

Re: Event (alarm) sound not working

Fri Jun 25, 2021 1:58 pm
Which exact version of Plasma are you using? What did you change when the alarm stopped working?

Running Kubuntu 22.10 with Plasma 5.26.3, Frameworks 5.100.0, Qt 5.15.6, kernel 5.19.0-23 on Ryzen 5 4600H, AMD Renoir, X11
FWIW: it's always useful to state the exact Plasma version (+ distribution) when asking questions, makes it easier to help ...
conyia
Registered Member

Fri Jun 25, 2021 3:06 pm
Mamarok wrote:Which exact version of Plasma are you using? What did you change when the alarm stopped working?

Hello, thank you for your response.

I am using KDE SC Version 4.14.8
OS version Linux 3.10.0-1160.25.1.el7.x86_64

This was the information I got from my Kinfocenter. I am not sure if the KDE version answers the question of what plasma version I am using. This is all new to me.

I tried troubleshooting without using the external HP sound bar. I checked alsamixer to ensure that the speaker was not muted. I have not yet made any significant change as I am not sure of what changes to make.
Mamarok
Manager
OS

Fri Jun 25, 2021 3:36 pm
No, the information is good enough, the problem is that KDE 4/Plasma 4 is not supported on our side anymore since quite a while now, you will have to ask your distribution. Maybe somebody here remembers how this works who reads this and can help.

Running Kubuntu 22.10 with Plasma 5.26.3, Frameworks 5.100.0, Qt 5.15.6, kernel 5.19.0-23 on Ryzen 5 4600H, AMD Renoir, X11
FWIW: it's always useful to state the exact Plasma version (+ distribution) when asking questions, makes it easier to help ...