This forum has been archived. All content is frozen. Please use KDE Discuss instead.

Folder view widget KDE4.1.3 shows no thumbnails

Tags: None
(comma "," separated)
Frank64
Registered Member
Hi everyone,

Running KDE3.5.7 but about to reinstall opensuse and use 4.1.3.

Of course I test all my applications and settings to see what's not going to work.

And I found 2 things, one will be taken care off in KDE4.2 (tooltip icon thumbnail preview http://ppenz.blogspot.com/2008/10/dolphin-features-for-kde-42.html), but the other I found nothing.

I am looking to have the icon thumbnail previews in Folder View widget. When I have pictures and videos (.avi, .wmv, .mpeg, .jpg, .png, etc.), there is no preview showing in place of the standard KDE icon.

I have installed the mplayerthumbs for dolphin and konqueror and all works fine, but not in Folder View.

Is that already available and I don't know how to make it work or is it part of a future version of Folder View?

I am certainly not the only one who would like this to work. :)
tnx

Frank

Frank
openSUSE KDE 10.3 64-bits
Intel Q6600 64-bits QuadCore G0 Revision
nVidia Geforce 8600 GT
ASUS P5K-E mobo + 4GB RAM
JontheEchinda
KDE Developer
OS
I know that at least KDE 4.2 has image previews. I don't know if video previews work or not. (I have not personally tested them)

JontheEchinda, proud to be a member of the Kubuntu team since July 2008.
neverendingo
Administrator
OS
Video previews are not implemented (yet). I remember a discussion on one of the mailing lists about that, but can't find it atm.

New to KDE Software? - get help from Userbase or ask questions on the Forums
Communicate.
Kryten2X4B
Registered Member
OS
Frank64 wrote:I have installed the mplayerthumbs for dolphin and konqueror and all works fine, but not in Folder View.

Not much of help right now maybe, but it does work in 4.1.81 (i.e. the future KDE 4.2) (using the mplayerthumbs package), and it even seems to work better in general in 4.2 than it did in 4.1.3...don't know why but in my 4.1.3. install some files don't get previews at all but the same files work in 4.2...go figure.

OpenSUSE 11.4, 64-bit with KDE 4.6.4
Proud to be a member of KDE forums since 2008-Oct.
Frank64
Registered Member
JontheEchinda wrote:I know that at least KDE 4.2 has image previews. I don't know if video previews work or not. (I have not personally tested them)

Good, so they keep on improving.

Do you think if it'll be easy and flawless to upgrade from 4.1.x to 4.2 (final release, not alpha like now) AFTER bins and libs are installed and configured?

Or is it better to install the distro, upgrade to 4.2 and then install bins and libs assuming everything will still be supported?

tnx :)

Frank
openSUSE KDE 10.3 64-bits
Intel Q6600 64-bits QuadCore G0 Revision
nVidia Geforce 8600 GT
ASUS P5K-E mobo + 4GB RAM