This forum has been archived. All content is frozen. Please use KDE Discuss instead.

Panel loss and unexpected reboot to user sign in

Tags: None
(comma "," separated)
texas.chef94
Registered Member
I have ubuntu with kubuntu desktop 4.1 and on the loss panel issue I am sure its something I did. In its place is black bar and no access to Kmenu.
On the unexpected reboot I can be in the middle of something and it just goes back to logon
Please advise and thanks

Allen
neverendingo
Administrator
OS
Can you please explain a little bit more what you mean with the second part? So you try to login and then you are sent back to the kdm login screen? is that right?

New to KDE Software? - get help from Userbase or ask questions on the Forums
Communicate.
texas.chef94
Registered Member
Thank you for your interest and sorry for not using more clarity, probably the downside of being 77 and overcoming Linux challenges.
At boot I get the black and sort grey background with curlicues and a centered box with signin and displaying 4.1 identification.
There has been times when I signed in was brought to desktop than back to signin, but that has been infrequent. The really troublesome aspect of this issue is gettingsigned in and either be reading an article or reading or composing E-mail and it happens. I have tried to track a timed sequence, but there does not appear to be any. Hope this helps.

Allen
toad
Global Moderator
OS
I experienced similar instantaneous logouts on KDE 3.5.9 with Compiz (on Kubuntu 8.04) which leads me to the following questions:

Which Kubuntu are you using? Are you running Compiz as well (the glitzy effects including the cube)? If I were you I'd turn off the effects completely and see whether this behaviour continues.

Debian testing
texas.chef94
Registered Member
toad wrote:I experienced similar instantaneous logouts on KDE 3.5.9 with Compiz (on Kubuntu 8.04) which leads me to the following questions:

Which Kubuntu are you using? Are you running Compiz as well (the glitzy effects including the cube)? If I were you I'd turn off the effects completely and see whether this behaviour continues.
[hr]
No Compiz and I am using 4.1. As to effects I need to check on that. I have SUSE 11 as well with KDE 3.5 I think I would need to check. But I mention it because no unexpected reboots occur

Allen

Last edited by texas.chef94 on Mon Dec 01, 2008 2:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
neverendingo
Administrator
OS
it could be a xserver crash. Left-click on any windows top bar, select window behaviour and see if "enable desktop effects" is enabled. If it is, try without it.

New to KDE Software? - get help from Userbase or ask questions on the Forums
Communicate.