This forum has been archived. All content is frozen. Please use KDE Discuss instead.

Folderview as the desktop in 4.1.82

Tags: None
(comma "," separated)
Kryten2X4B
Registered Member
OS

Folderview as the desktop in 4.1.82

Tue Dec 09, 2008 12:41 am
Okay, I have to ask this...for a very specific use-case I'm investigating how well folder-view as the desktop can work for people "allergic to change"...in other words, I'm trying to see whether the up-and-coming 4.2 can be adjusted to mimic how WinXP works for people who do not want their environment to change drastically - and yes, I'm aware that nothing but WinXP will be able to do that 100 % but what I want to achieve is to make the change as minimal as possible.

To accomplish that, I've set the desktop to use folderview as the containment (and installed the ihatethecashew plasmoid, to reduce the number of times people call me to ask "How do I get rid of the checkerboard pattern"?). Note though that I haven't deployed this yet - partially because KDE 4.2 is still in beta as is the distro in question, and partially because I'm still in the process of evaluating things (and it's only for one user really. So far at least).

Anyway, I've run into a discrepancy considering how the folderview works as a containment compared to as a plasmoid.

When I use it as a plasmoid, I can freely reposition the icons within it (and the position is now saved between sessions as well). That's not the case when it's used as a containment though. Whenever I try to move an icon, it immediately zooms back into its original place. It doesn't matter whether the widgets are unlocked or not, and the "Align icons in a grid" and "Lock icons into place" check-boxes are unchecked.

I'm using OpenSUSE 11.1, with the unstable branch. And the reason I'm posting it here is that I wonder if it's a known issue? Either in SUSE (I know they backport stuff for their stable releases, but I'm not sure if they patch the unstable repos as well) or otherwise?

The things is, I'm not sure if I should report this at the novell bugzilla or the kde one since I have really no idea if it's distro-specific or not. I have looked at both bug-trackers but haven't find any open bugs related to this. Which, of course, may mean that my search-capabilities need to improve. Or that not all that many people have tried to use the folderview-as-the-desktop yet and that this issue hasn't surfaced.

Anyone has tried, on SUSE or otherise, and can either disprove or confirm the behavior? And if disprove and on the same distro, did you need to do something special to make it work?

OpenSUSE 11.4, 64-bit with KDE 4.6.4
Proud to be a member of KDE forums since 2008-Oct.
Hans
Administrator
OS
Kryten2X4B wrote:When I use it as a plasmoid, I can freely reposition the icons within it (and the position is now saved between sessions as well). That's not the case when it's used as a containment though. Whenever I try to move an icon, it immediately zooms back into its original place. It doesn't matter whether the widgets are unlocked or not, and the "Align icons in a grid" and "Lock icons into place" check-boxes are unchecked.

I can confirm this, running trunk.

Edit: Fixed in trunk, good job reporting it. :)

Last edited by Hans on Sat Dec 13, 2008 11:16 am, edited 1 time in total.

Problem solved? Please click on "Accept this answer" below the post with the best answer to mark your topic as solved.

10 things you might want to do in KDE | Open menu with Super key | Mouse shortcuts
Kryten2X4B
Registered Member
OS
Hans wrote:I can confirm this, running trunk.

Thanks! At least it's just not me. Reported it to bugs.kde.org, bug-number 177278.

OpenSUSE 11.4, 64-bit with KDE 4.6.4
Proud to be a member of KDE forums since 2008-Oct.