This forum has been archived. All content is frozen. Please use KDE Discuss instead.

[Plasma-MID] How to get it work?

Tags: None
(comma "," separated)
Solardeity
Registered Member
OS

[Plasma-MID] How to get it work?

Sat Dec 13, 2008 10:23 am
I own a Netbook, i few months ago I heard aseigo talking about a new MID-Plasma shell that was in development, which I found very exiting..

sooo.. while I was searching abit threw my Kde 4.2 beta 1 installation, I found a plasma-mid shell in the plasma-shell-directory.
I thought hmmm cool and so I tried to execute it in a terminal with ./plasma-mid just to see what happens.. As it does not show in "Appearance Settings"

Well a separate x-window does open up when i execute it, but that was just about it.
So i'm thinking maybe I was doing something wrong?? or that is the momentary development??

So my question is, how can I check out the plasma-mid shell in KDE4.2 beta 1 properly?
Or what is the development status? Far from being useful and nothing to think about in the moment?

Thanks!..

Solardeity, proud to be a member of KDE forums since 2008-Oct.
Solardeity
Registered Member
OS
no idea?? :-(

neverendingo
Administrator
OS

RE: [Plasma-MID] How to get it work?

Thu Dec 18, 2008 11:59 pm
I am not exactly sure why you would want it. It is meant for mobile internet devices (as the name states). And it is the same you already have on your whole desktop, only more lightweight. And not functional ATM.

New to KDE Software? - get help from Userbase or ask questions on the Forums
Communicate.
Solardeity
Registered Member
OS
neverendingo wrote:I am not exactly sure why you would want it. It is meant for mobile internet devices (as the name states). And it is the same you already have on your whole desktop, only more lightweight. And not functional ATM.

The way I understood was that it was also mentioned for Netbooks?? or is that wrong?
I am just curios and want to look at it..
besides, even if I don't need it because its MID only, I still need (want) to know how I can use it, just if I wanted to?? :-)

aseigo
KDE Developer
Solardeity wrote:The way I understood was that it was also mentioned for Netbooks?? or is that wrong?
I am just curios and want to look at it..
besides, even if I don't need it because its MID only, I still need (want) to know how I can use it, just if I wanted to?? :-)

it's intended to be useful for netbook style devices as well.

we started working on it right after 4.1 was released, but then ended up shifting priorities around for the 4.2 goals and plasma-mid was essentially shelved. we'll be working on it again for next year's releases, however (4.3 and 4.4)

aseigo, proud to be a member of KDE forums since 2008-Oct.