This forum has been archived. All content is frozen. Please use KDE Discuss instead.

[SOLVED] How to install new widgets from kde-look.org

Tags: None
(comma "," separated)
iskendar
Registered Member
OS
Hi all,

Been exploring kde 4.1 (kubuntu 8.10), and I ran out of widgets to try, so I clicked on the install new widgets button. There are two options, one is to install from file (no-brainer) and the other is supposed to find widgets from kde-look.org. Kool, I think, just like superkaramba, and I try that one, but it only shows about 5 or 6 widgets, whereas a kuick peek on kde-look.org shows plenty.
Now I'm not in principle opposed to downloading and installing files, but it's a bit inelegant. So what I'd like to know is if this is a. a bug in kde 4.1, b. a bug in kubuntu, c. something I did wrong. And more importantly, what can I do to fix it.

Last edited by iskendar on Sun Dec 28, 2008 9:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.

iskendar, proud to be a member of KDE forums since 2008-Dec.
bcooksley
Administrator
OS
The ability to download new widgets through the interface in Plasma is only available for scripted, Plasma widgets. SuperKaramba widgets must be downloaded manually and then installed through the menu item.

KDE Sysadmin
[img]content/bcooksley_sig.png[/img]
iskendar
Registered Member
OS
Aha. So all of the widgets labeled "Plasmoid Binary" in kde-look.org are ported superkaramba widgets? Anyway, the few widgets I see are indeed the ones labeled "Plasmoid Script". Thanks.

iskendar, proud to be a member of KDE forums since 2008-Dec.
bcooksley
Administrator
OS
Plasmoid binaries require compiling code provided by the author, and are not always ported SuperKaramba widgets ( some are completely new ).

Scripted plasmoids are more closer to Super Karamba widgets in type than plasmoid binaries.

KDE Sysadmin
[img]content/bcooksley_sig.png[/img]
sayakb
Administrator
OS
If the issue is resolved, please add a [SOLVED] to the title. Thanks.