This forum has been archived. All content is frozen. Please use KDE Discuss instead.

[SOLVED] Editing the Right-Click Desktop Context Menu in KDE4

Tags: None
(comma "," separated)
Illydth
Registered Member
The subject line says most of it: I'm simply trying to add a single item to the Right-Click Context menu on the KDE4 Desktop.

System Information (before I get farther into this):
Ubuntu/Kubuntu (Ubuntu with the KDE Desktop installed - it calls itself Kubuntu), Intrepid (8.10 release), KDE 4.1.3 (according to Konquorer's "Help/About" menu).

I cannot begin to tell you how many different Google searches I've done to try to find this.

This CANNOT be that hard. Fedora 9/10, as shipped, have "konsole" as a right click item at the top of the KDE4 Desktop Right-Click Context menu...right click on the desktop, and boom "Konsole" is the first option. Ubuntu, unfortunately does not.

For the LIFE of me I cannot find where the heck this menu is built from. Searching for "Leave" "Run Command" or "Lock Screen" nets me nothing useful. Using Locate and xargs grep across the entire /usr/share and /usr/share/kde(4) provides me nothing useful. As far as I can tell someone at the fedora dev team waved a magic wand and said a spell to get konsole to appear on that menu cause searching a Fedora and an Ubuntu system I simply cannot find where that menu is built from. :-S

And the sad part here is that no one ELSE on the internet seems to know either. :-)

This simply cannot be that hard, it's got to be a simple text file somewhere.

Help? Anyone with any knowledge what-so-ever on how to configure the desktop right click menu on KDE4?

--Illydth

Last edited by Illydth on Mon Dec 29, 2008 9:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
GeneralZod
KDE Developer
OS
IIRC, pluggable context-menus for Plasma were originally slated for 4.2 (assuming I'm interpreting Context menu plugins correctly), but I think there was not enough time for them in the end so they'll probably be bounced back to 4.3.

In the meantime, I'll have a quick poke around in the source - it's possible that it's hard-coded somewhere in the source code itself and that Fedora patched it before compilation.

Edit:

Ok, circumstantial evidence that there are indeed hard-coded:

http://websvn.kde.org/trunk/KDE/kdebase ... iew=markup

(DefaultDesktop::contextualActions()).

Edit2:

Aha:

http://cvs.fedoraproject.org/viewvc/rpm ... iew=markup

Last edited by GeneralZod on Mon Dec 29, 2008 5:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.

ssj-gz.blogspot.com: KDE4Daily, Konqueror4 Restoration
Illydth
Registered Member
I would DEEPLY appreciate it, I was wondering the same thing when I couldn't find anything relating to the right click menu.

I know how to add context menu items in an app like dolphin (kept running into that answer when searching online for this) but no one seemed to know how to mangle the right click desktop menu.

Again, just for clarity sake the menu I'm talking about is obtained when you log in, put your mouse on the desktop itself, and right click, contains items like "Run Command" "Add Widgets" "Lock Screen" "Leave...", etc.

BTW Apologies if this looks like a "duh er" post, I just want to make sure *I* was clear enough in my prior post. :)

--Illydth
Illydth
Registered Member
Right on the money, patched by RedHat.

Thanks VERY much for your assistance and answer, I'll mark this as "solved".

Can I make the assumption that in a future version this context menu will be pulled from a settings file somewhere and not hard-coded?

Again, thanks for the help and assistance on this.[hr]
As a last question, do I have the ability to edit the title of this post in some way to mark it as solved?

Last edited by Illydth on Mon Dec 29, 2008 7:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
GeneralZod
KDE Developer
OS
Illydth wrote:Right on the money, patched by RedHat.

Thanks VERY much for your assistance and answer, I'll mark this as "solved".

Can I make the assumption that in a future version this context menu will be pulled from a settings file somewhere and not hard-coded?

I just asked our Imperious Leader on IRC, and he directed me to this bug report (comment #2) :

http://bugs.kde.org/show_bug.cgi?id=156136

So menu plugins will supported, and I can't see any real reason why such a plugin could not read its config from a file :)

Again, thanks for the help and assistance on this.[hr]

Happy to help :)

As a last question, do I have the ability to edit the title of this post in some way to mark it as solved?

Yes (in fact, the forum staff are very keen on it) but I'm afraid I have no idea how :)

sayakb
Administrator
OS

Definitely you do!
Click on Image and select "Full Edit". There in the topic subject, add a [SOLVED] at the beginning of the title.
We are infact working on a plugin to make it easier (not there there isn't one already, but there are some issues we are having with that one)

irina_r
Alumni
OS
GeneralZod wrote:So menu plugins will supported, and I can't see any real reason why such a plugin could not read its config from a file :)

Wow, thanks; I never lock my screen, or run a command except with Alt+F2, but I would like to have a Terminal option, for instance.

GeneralZod
KDE Developer
OS
irina_r wrote:
GeneralZod wrote:So menu plugins will supported, and I can't see any real reason why such a plugin could not read its config from a file :)

Wow, thanks; I never lock my screen, or run a command except with Alt+F2, but I would like to have a Terminal option, for instance.

Before you get too excited, please note that I'm not a Plasma dev and so this is speculation on my part. It seems very plausible to me, though :)