This forum has been archived. All content is frozen. Please use KDE Discuss instead.

Delete Widgets

Tags: None
(comma "," separated)
Shaker
Registered Member
OS

Delete Widgets

Mon Jan 12, 2009 10:10 pm
I upgrade KDE version from 4.1.3 to 4.2 Beta 2. Most widgets don't works and i want delete him. How ?

/off Sorry for my bad English :)
bcooksley
Administrator
OS

RE: Delete Widgets

Mon Jan 12, 2009 10:14 pm
Did you fully upgrade all packages? This mostly happens when some extra packages are not upgraded, and thus are incompatible with the much newer Plasma version.

Which widgets in particular are not working? Also, how are you installing KDE 4.2?

KDE Sysadmin
[img]content/bcooksley_sig.png[/img]
Shaker
Registered Member
OS

Mon Jan 12, 2009 10:20 pm
I install KDE 4.2 Beta 2 from Kubuntu repositoryes. Only widgets not work, which I manual intalled, downloaded from kde-look.org.
bcooksley
Administrator
OS

Mon Jan 12, 2009 10:51 pm
If you compiled them from sources, they just need to be recompiled and reinstalled, due to changes in the Plasma API.

Scripted Plasmoids ( found on kde-look.org through Plasma "Get New Widgets" ) will likely need to be updated by their authors to support changes in Plasma. These will likely happen shortly after KDE 4.2 is released, and will probably require that you redownload the Plasmoids.

KDE Sysadmin
Shaker
Registered Member
OS

Mon Jan 12, 2009 10:58 pm
Thank you for information. But how to remove widgets from widgets list ?

Last edited by Shaker on Mon Jan 12, 2009 10:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
bcooksley
Administrator
OS

Mon Jan 12, 2009 11:06 pm
Ones installed through "Get New Widgets" are stored under $KDEHOME/share/apps/plasma/plasmoids

After removing the non working Plasmoids, run this command in a terminal and they will disappear from the list"
Code: Select all
kbuildsycoca4

KDE Sysadmin
Alec
Registered Member
OS

Tue Jan 13, 2009 2:02 am
And for those compiled from source, running "make uninstall" in the build directory should remove them, I believe.

Get problems solved faster - get reply notifications through Jabber!
g0d0
Registered Member
OS

Re: Delete Widgets

Sun May 02, 2010 6:43 pm
Had to reactivate this thread, as I was facing the following problem running KDE 4.3.5 under Mandriva 2010, Linux 2.6.31.13-desktop586-1mnb i686):

I've got one and the same Google Gadget showing up six times in the "add widgets" list. To remove, I followed the steps descibed above, deleting 5 of the 6 widgets and applying kbuildsycoca4 afterwards.

I still have 6 entries in the 'add widgets' list. Only one of them now works, the others give an error saying that the respective package cannot be found (logical, after I've deleted them).

Does anyone know, how to delete the non-functining redundant entries from the list, now that they are completely useless?

A pity KDE4/Plasma still doesn't offer a swift solution to delete widgets from the 'add widgets' list by e.g. right clicking a widget and offering a context menu.

Thanks a lot,
g0d0
bcooksley
Administrator
OS

Mon May 03, 2010 5:27 am
Please ensure that the corresponding *.desktop files have been removed from ~/.kde4/share/apps/plasma-desktop/

KDE Sysadmin
g0d0
Registered Member
OS

Tue May 04, 2010 7:08 pm
Hmmm,

for some strange reason under ~/.kde4/share/apps/ there doesn't exist a directory/file named plasma-desktop.

I also checked under $HOME/.kde4/share/apps - to no avail.

Looking for *.desktop files I did find corresponding ones in $HOME/.kde4/share/kde4/services/

Removing those did the trick! Thanks a lot for the hint helping me to find what to look for, I just wanted to provide the alternative if someone gets in the same situation as I did.