This forum has been archived. All content is frozen. Please use KDE Discuss instead.

Possible Bug Report

Tags: None
(comma "," separated)
giricredwolf
Registered Member
OS

Possible Bug Report

Sat Jan 17, 2009 9:10 pm
I'm not sure if this is the correct place to do this or not. Pointing to further instructions would be most helpful.

I've installed the KDE 4.2 RC and I'm having some issues with Plasma.

1) Whenever I run the LCD Weather widget, it crashes Plasma whenever I click on it after configuring.

2) The comics widget doesn't seem to have any comic sources loaded, although the previous version did. Well, it had a couple in the previous version, but none now.

3) Color schemes are doing weird things with fonts and window backgrounds. I've got a dark scheme set up with light text, with text box backgrounds supposed to be dark and text light, applications backgrounds dark with light text, and so on. I frequently get white text box backgrounds with white text, light applications with white text, and other invisible or nigh-invisible combinations.

The tricky part is that I'm using Wubi and I have some of the other Ubuntu and Xubuntu packages installed since I like some of the things that say they require GNOME or xfce or are built for them.

Any information or help would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Giric
sayakb
Administrator
OS

RE: Possible Bug Report

Sat Jan 17, 2009 10:09 pm
Thread moved to Installation & Configuration area.

JontheEchinda
KDE Developer
OS

Sat Jan 17, 2009 10:14 pm
1) That's a Qt bug. It's been patched in Jaunty. The status for a fix in Intrepid can be followed here: https://bugs.launchpad.net/bugs/272399

2) You now have to download the comic services you want over the internet. Might not be the best behavior imo.

3) Maybe restarting the applications after you change color schemes would help? I don't really use dark color schemes all that much so I don't know...

JontheEchinda, proud to be a member of the Kubuntu team since July 2008.
giricredwolf
Registered Member
OS

Sun Jan 18, 2009 5:50 pm
Responses are between quotes.
JontheEchinda wrote:1) That's a Qt bug. It's been patched in Jaunty. The status for a fix in Intrepid can be followed here: https://bugs.launchpad.net/bugs/272399

I'm looking into that as I type.

2) You now have to download the comic services you want over the internet. Might not be the best behavior imo.

I see. So, I need to get the URLs from, say, uComics or wherever? I may just have Buoh autorun on boot, then. Best behaviour for the user or the application?

3) Maybe restarting the applications after you change color schemes would help? I don't really use dark color schemes all that much so I don't know...

It's a persistent problem. It's going on across a couple of re-boots, including into my Vista partition to get the list of addons for FireFox I like as well as my bookmarks. I'll poke around some more to see what I can find, though.

Thanks for your help!
bcooksley
Administrator
OS

Thu Jan 22, 2009 8:04 am
With regard to colour scheme problems, try disabling "Use KDE colours in non-KDE apps" in System Settings > Appearence > Colours > Options

KDE Sysadmin
[img]content/bcooksley_sig.png[/img]
dtritscher
Registered Member

Thu Jan 22, 2009 8:57 am
I see. So, I need to get the URLs from, say, uComics or wherever? I may just have Buoh autorun on boot, then. Best behaviour for the user or the application?

Nope. Just go to the comics plasmoids configuration dialog and hit "Get new comics" :)
The comic data engine has changed for 4.2 to a scriptable one, thats why none of the old comic sources is shipped. But all of them have been converted to the new ones and are available via GHNS. And some additional 50 more or so...

Last edited by dtritscher on Thu Jan 22, 2009 8:58 am, edited 1 time in total.

dtritscher, proud to be a member of KDE forums since 2008-Oct.
arizonagroovejet
Registered Member

Fri Jan 30, 2009 10:16 pm
dtritscher wrote: But all of them have been converted to the new ones and are available via GHNS. And some additional 50 more or so...

I though the lack of default sources was a bug and Google brought me here.

It's good that so many sources are available to install, but it is not good that no sources are included by default when previously they were. More sources is a step forward, no default sources is a step backwards.
TheBlackCat
Registered Member
OS

Fri Jan 30, 2009 10:35 pm
arizonagroovejet wrote:I though the lack of default sources was a bug and Google brought me here.

It's good that so many sources are available to install, but it is not good that no sources are included by default when previously they were. More sources is a step forward, no default sources is a step backwards.

Good point, maybe the first time you start it up it could query the comic source list and download the 5 most downloaded or something (is there a way to do that without further bumping up the download list?).

Man is the lowest-cost, 150-pound, nonlinear, all-purpose computer system which can be mass-produced by unskilled labor.
-NASA in 1965