This forum has been archived. All content is frozen. Please use KDE Discuss instead.

Plasma FAQ - Answers to common Plasma questions

Tags: None
(comma "," separated)
einar
Administrator
OS
Just for reference, KDE's UserBase contains a FAQ which tries to deal with the most common questions regarding Plasma (at least for stable releases, I'll try to get one done for 4.2 when it enters beta). So, if you have a question, have a look there first. You may find what you need.

http://userbase.kde.org/Plasma

"Violence is the last refuge of the incompetent."
Plasma FAQ maintainer - Plasma programming with Python
neverendingo
Administrator
OS
Thanks for that, i'll make this sticky.

New to KDE Software? - get help from Userbase or ask questions on the Forums
Communicate.
R_Rios
Registered Member
OS
Is there any way to disable the default plasma effects (such as real transparency and fade)?
einar
Administrator
OS
Just for your information, now that Beta 1 is out I'll try to update the FAQ to include the new features from Plasma. Stay tuned.

sebas
KDE Developer
OS
R_Rios wrote:Is there any way to disable the default plasma effects (such as real transparency and fade)?

transparency can be controlled by the theme, animations (such as fade) are controlled by some central setting, which I think isn't exposed in the UI yet.

-- sebas
einar
Administrator
OS
There is ongoing work on a 4.2 version of the FAQ at http://userbase.kde.org/Plasma/4.2 .
Please report errors and inconsistencies.

einar
Administrator
OS
For reference, the Plasma FAQ has been updated to reflect changes in the KDE 4.2 release.

Hans
Administrator
OS
[size=x-large]FGA[/size]
Frequently Given Answer

Code: Select all
kquitapp plasma
rm -rf $KDEHOME/share/config/plasm*
plasma &

will fix most Plasma-related problems (such as "zombie" icons, unremovable widgets, messed up panels etc.)
Warning! The second command will erase all your Plasma settings and restore your desktop (including panels) to default.

Problem solved? Please click on "Accept this answer" below the post with the best answer to mark your topic as solved.

10 things you might want to do in KDE | Open menu with Super key | Mouse shortcuts
einar
Administrator
OS
I'm wondering if adding this or not. It's mostly equivalent to the "delete .kde/.kde4 directory" which is not encouraged by the KDE developers. I'll have to hear the Plasma team on this...

google01103
Manager
einar wrote:I'm wondering if adding this or not. It's mostly equivalent to the "delete .kde/.kde4 directory" which is not encouraged by the KDE developers. I'll have to hear the Plasma team on this...

This really needs to be presented as after a version upgrade or a corruption it's the answer, you might want to caveat it as being a last ditch solution but it is an important way to resolve what has been a not uncommon problem.

OpenSuse Leap 42.1 x64, Plasma 5.x

Hans
Administrator
OS
It seems that a lot of openSUSE users have corrupted plasma-appletrc after the upgrade to KDE 4.2. I don't know any other way to solve that problem.

Of course this shouldn't be done if your problem is caused by something else (e.g. bugs).

Problem solved? Please click on "Accept this answer" below the post with the best answer to mark your topic as solved.

10 things you might want to do in KDE | Open menu with Super key | Mouse shortcuts
alte_esel
Registered Member
OS
where can I find about Plasma error question:undecided:

Last edited by alte_esel on Thu Feb 19, 2009 12:44 am, edited 1 time in total.
PoL666
Registered Member
OS
I should translate the FAQ, but is too large and i haven't enought time :(

[align=center]Que dificil se me hace esto....[/align]

Blog Personal

Blog Linux Desktops

:shade:
alte_esel
Registered Member
OS
PoL666 wrote:I should translate the FAQ, but is too large and i haven't enought time :(

Well the time is running out and I find the best idea to reinstall suse,but I will give few more days to get the answer:'( yes I`m :'( lout for help.

Please one of you can help me :-(

Thank you for your cooperation:-@

Last edited by alte_esel on Sun Feb 22, 2009 5:53 am, edited 1 time in total.
alte_esel
Registered Member
OS
So I reinstall 2 days ago few times something went wrong and know it is working okay

Well today I update to KDE4 4.2.1 and I restart suse11.1,the problem with the plasma is fixed.

Everyone who spend lots,lots of time did a very good job on that.
I`m very :-D.

Alte_esel :thumbs_up:

Last edited by alte_esel on Thu Mar 12, 2009 11:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.