This forum has been archived. All content is frozen. Please use KDE Discuss instead.

Strange behaviour of keyboard shortcuts

Tags: None
(comma "," separated)
9F3005
Registered Member
Today I installed an Kubuntu 8.10 with KDE 4.1 on my laptop and started immediately playing around with the plasmoid features. Thus I created new panels, emptied the original one an rearranged almost everything.

Long story, brief point: Afterwards [alt]+[f1] wouldn't work to trigger the reinstated application launcher.

I managed to find the respective config and it still said "Plasma Workspace -> Application launcher > Alt+F1" Changing it (forth and back) with or without restarting the Xserver brought no improvement whatsoever.

I don't know if this is of any importance, but by accident I noticed that in the konsole terminal window the respectively active keyboard shortcut would write the letter "P" on the prompt.

Has anyone an idea, how I can fix this?
aseigo
KDE Developer
keyboard shortcuts are associated with individual widgets, not "desktop wide functionality" since that has no real meaning in plasma (well, it had no real meaning in kicker either, i just hacked around it as best i could =)

anyways:

right now you have to do it by hand, though ... kquitapp plasma; vim `kde4-config --localprefix`/share/config/plasma-appletsrc; find the plugin.. put a [Containment][#][Applet][#][Shortcuts] group with a global= entry. start plasma. voila.

yeah, not user friendly.

hopefully we'll have the integrated UI for it in 4.2 =)

aseigo, proud to be a member of KDE forums since 2008-Oct.
JontheEchinda
KDE Developer
OS
I think the ability to set default settings for a particular type of plasmoid would help solve this issue. (Plus, it's really handy anyway. :D)

JontheEchinda, proud to be a member of the Kubuntu team since July 2008.
9F3005
Registered Member
Thanks. It worked (of course it did ;-) )

JontheEchinda wrote:I think the ability to set default settings for a particular type of plasmoid would help solve this issue.

Yes, but I think it would be easier to add to every widget's preferences or context menu an entry for keyboard shortcuts e.g. 'activate/jump to'. As I understand it this would be more like the structure of the config file.

Additional question: What ist SystemSettings->..->KeyboardShortcuts->KDEcomponent:PlasmaWorspace->ApplicationLauncher doing since it doesn't change the applauncher widget's settings?
aseigo
KDE Developer
JontheEchinda wrote:I think the ability to set default settings for a particular type of plasmoid would help solve this issue. (Plus, it's really handy anyway. :D)

while i like the idea of "user specified defaults", i don't think that would make it into the primary UI (perhaps a seperate tweak tool like the new plasma theme creator?), but that still wouldn't work very well for global shortcuts.

it would be ok for something like kickoff if the rule was "first menu you create gets it", but still run into edge cases there. for most other widgets it would get annoying quickly though =)

aseigo, proud to be a member of KDE forums since 2008-Oct.