This forum has been archived. All content is frozen. Please use KDE Discuss instead.

How can I change my current wallpaper using DBUS?

Tags: None
(comma "," separated)
werner
Registered Member
Well, as in the topic: (how) can I change my wallpaper with DBUS (or at least any other command line tool)?. With KDE 3 and dcop it was something like:
Code: Select all
dcop kdesktop KBackgroundIface setWallpaper /path/to/your/wallpaper.png 8
(8 describes your wallpaper display mode... as far as I remember).

Currently I'm trying to figure it out with dbuscli ( http://code.google.com/p/dbus-tools/ ) but I'm failing so far. I guess it's something like:
Code: Select all
dbus org.kde.plasma /App Set ... ... ....
but I have completely no idea where to look for this option (plasma doc for this topic is quite ... empty, and greping plasma sources apparently also isn't a way to find it :)
aseigo
KDE Developer
werner wrote:Well, as in the topic: (how) can I change my wallpaper with DBUS (or at least any other command line tool)?

currently you can't; we just brought in wallpaper plugins for 4.2, which is a first step towars making them odular and more easily controlled in a reliable way from the outside.

exporting the API for all the useful internals in plasma have not yet been written, however.

aseigo, proud to be a member of KDE forums since 2008-Oct.
werner
Registered Member
Thanks for your quick response. Good to know since I was going to spend more time googling/trying to figure it out from sources :)
kolla
Registered Member
aseigo wrote:
werner wrote:Well, as in the topic: (how) can I change my wallpaper with DBUS (or at least any other command line tool)?

currently you can't; we just brought in wallpaper plugins for 4.2, which is a first step towars making them odular and more easily controlled in a reliable way from the outside.

exporting the API for all the useful internals in plasma have not yet been written, however.

Will controls for hue and gradients also be added then? In KDE3 I use dcop to set the hue of the desktop depending on the allert level of my surveillance system, which is very usefull for me.

-- kolla