This forum has been archived. All content is frozen. Please use KDE Discuss instead.

New or Different Widgets

Tags: None
(comma "," separated)
jensoko
Registered Member

New or Different Widgets

Fri Oct 17, 2008 12:59 pm
Hi!

I've been using KDE4 since Kubuntu Hardy 8.04 came out and even prior to the upgraded releases found it really enjoyable to use. The one thing that gave me a bit of a learning curve is widgets--I've seen the YouTube videos of what they can do, but all I have on my system are the basic ones. There's an option in the "Add Widgets" under the cashew to add widgets from the internet, but I can't seem to make that function work--I get the browser window, but nothing comes up and I can't see any way to enter a URL like kde-look.org.

Are there new or different widgets out there? How do I find them? For instance, I'd love a simple calculator, calendar, or stickynotes widget.

Thanks in advance.

Jensoko
PeperJohnny
Registered Member
OS

RE: New or Different Widgets

Fri Oct 17, 2008 1:11 pm
Some Widgets are in kdeplasma-addons. The Ghns feature doesnt work yet.

PeperJohnny, proud to be a member of KDE since 2006-Dec.
Do you dare?
msoeken
Mentor
OS

Fri Oct 17, 2008 1:25 pm
IMHO features that do not work should be disabled. I think this is the case in KDE4. But some features can easily be disabled by not showing a widget, e.g. the "Get Hot New Stuff" Button in the "Add widgets" dialog.

Another possibility is to disable the buttons, so the users can already take a glimpse of what they expect in the future. But this could also confuse them.

Cheers, m.

[size=x-small]code | [url=cia.vc/stats/author/msoeken]cia.vc[/url] | [url=kde.org/support]donating KDE[/url] | [url=tinyurl.com/cto4ns]wishlist[/url][/size]
mensch
Registered Member
OS

Fri Oct 17, 2008 2:13 pm
I've compiled both PowerDevil (which is more than just a widget and a must have for notebook users) and QuickAccess from source, two widgets I recommend very much.

The problem with most widgets on KDE-apps.org is that they're not binaries, so you'll have to compile them yourself. If you're not against installing developer packages and doing some stuff on the command line, this guide I wrote might be of some use. It's written for Debian, but on Ubuntu flavours it might also work - some packages are named differently, I believe.

Last edited by mensch on Fri Oct 17, 2008 2:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.

I have forced myself to contradict myself in order to avoid conforming to my own taste. Marcel Duchamp
jensoko
Registered Member

Fri Oct 17, 2008 3:08 pm
Thanks, Mensch. I'm still not quite up to speed on compiling or dev activities--this is my primary machine and I'm cautious about experimenting.