This forum has been archived. All content is frozen. Please use KDE Discuss instead.

Can't get the hang of folderview

Tags: None
(comma "," separated)
irina_r
Alumni
OS

Can't get the hang of folderview

Mon Oct 20, 2008 11:55 am
I'd like to have a little panel somewhere with useful folderviews, but I can't stick any folderviews into an extra panel (they show up in the Add Widget window, but the panel shows nothing). When I add a folderview to the main panel I get a button with an ellipsis (...) that I can configure, but when I've done that it doesn't do anything, just sits there.

I can get a folderview on the desktop, but when I close it it's gone without a trace, and the next time I need that set of stuff I have to round it up all over again. And I don't want to leave it open, because I like a clear desktop with only the things I'm actually doing. And, not being a folder as such, I can't minimise it either.

If it's any use, I have 4.1.2 on Intrepid beta. (come to think of it it's probably another Intrepid not-implemented-yet, like activities not working)

Tomaz
Registered Member

RE: Can't get the hang of folderview

Mon Oct 20, 2008 12:02 pm
folderview is not for opening/closing a folder on the desktop. it's for showing the itens that you have on any folder at the desktop but in a organized way.
from my pov you want to have the old ability of the 3.x séries of having a quick acess to your files from the menubar, is that right?

Rocs developer. (and no, i'm not proud of it) ;D
neverendingo
Administrator
OS

Mon Oct 20, 2008 12:07 pm
There are problems with the space hinting on the panel.
It especially doesn't work with the folderview and other plasmoids in the panel.
But maybe that helps:
Add a new panel. You can even configure it to sit on the side of your first panel.
Now add the folderview to the second panel. Now you should be able to set the folderview like you want and have it visible.

New to KDE Software? - get help from Userbase or ask questions on the Forums
Communicate.
irina_r
Alumni
OS
Tomaz wrote:folderview is not for opening/closing a folder on the desktop. it's for showing the itens that you have on any folder at the desktop but in a organized way.
from my pov you want to have the old ability of the 3.x séries of having a quick acess to your files from the menubar, is that right?

From kicker, yes (I've never been much of a menu user). All I've read about folderview looked as if it was about that; not to open one particular folder, but to have a folder-like object with all the files I need for a project, even if they're all in different places. In fact, the way I already worked (symlinking files into a folder to have them with the rest) but institutionalised, as it were.

(eek! spellcheck doesn't like our technical terms or my Brit spelling)[hr]
neverendingo wrote:Add a new panel. You can even configure it to sit on the side of your first panel.
Now add the folderview to the second panel. Now you should be able to set the folderview like you want and have it visible.

Well, that was what I tried (even before I posted), and it did precisely nothing. No, I'm lying: it showed in the Add Widgets window that I had a folderview (but not where it was), but left the new panel empty.

I think what I really need is activities; I'll wait for the next version and make do with kate sessions until then, most of the files I need for projects are text files anyway.

Last edited by irina_r on Mon Oct 20, 2008 2:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Tomaz
Registered Member
I cannot lie, i'm missing that too. =)

Rocs developer. (and no, i'm not proud of it) ;D
Kryten2X4B
Registered Member
OS
Tomaz wrote:from my pov you want to have the old ability of the 3.x séries of having a quick acess to your files from the menubar, is that right?

If that's so, http://kde-look.org/content/show.php/Qu ... tent=84128 may be a better choice than the folderview. Can't live without it myself anymore.

OpenSUSE 11.4, 64-bit with KDE 4.6.4
Proud to be a member of KDE forums since 2008-Oct.
msoeken
Mentor
OS
Kryten2X4B wrote:
Tomaz wrote:from my pov you want to have the old ability of the 3.x séries of having a quick acess to your files from the menubar, is that right?

If that's so, http://kde-look.org/content/show.php/Qu ... tent=84128 may be a better choice than the folderview. Can't live without it myself anymore.

[quote='irina_r']
If it's any use, I have 4.1.2 on Intrepid beta.
[/quote]

This plasmoid is being installed with Intrepid.

[size=x-small]code | [url=cia.vc/stats/author/msoeken]cia.vc[/url] | [url=kde.org/support]donating KDE[/url] | [url=tinyurl.com/cto4ns]wishlist[/url][/size]
irina_r
Alumni
OS

Wed Oct 22, 2008 12:05 pm
msoeken wrote:
[QuickAccess]

This plasmoid is being installed with Intrepid.

Wow, yes! Thanks! Trying it out now.