This forum has been archived. All content is frozen. Please use KDE Discuss instead.

how do I only show active windows

Tags: None
(comma "," separated)
enrly
Registered Member
OS

how do I only show active windows

Thu Oct 08, 2009 9:26 pm
I just switched from gnome to kde and noticed my panel shows all the windows I have open. I want to change it to just show the windows on the workspace I am on. Ive found a few answers to this but don't seem to have the same version. Thanks
sayakb
Administrator
OS
Right click on the empty space on the taskbar, select "Task Manager Settings".

In the settings window, enable "Only show tasks from the current desktop" under "Filters".

Kryten2X4B
Registered Member
OS
If you're using 4.3 (maybe 4.2 as well but can't remember right now) all you need to do is:

1. Right-click on an empty part of the taskmanager.
2. Select "Task manager settings"
3. Click the "Only show tasks from the current desktop"
4. Click ok.

Done.

OpenSUSE 11.4, 64-bit with KDE 4.6.4
Proud to be a member of KDE forums since 2008-Oct.
enrly
Registered Member
OS
Kryten2X4B wrote:If you're using 4.3 (maybe 4.2 as well but can't remember right now) all you need to do is:

1. Right-click on an empty part of the taskmanager.
2. Select "Task manager settings"
3. Click the "Only show tasks from the current desktop"
4. Click ok.

Done.

thats seems to be my issue when i right click i have:
add widgets
add panel
lock widgets
panel settings
remove this panel

if i goto panel settings that just lets me change the size of the bar....
sayakb
Administrator
OS

Re: how do I only show active windows

Thu Oct 08, 2009 10:08 pm
You're right clicking on the wrong place (ie, try clicking some place nearer to a window's entry).

Alternatively, click on the cashew towards the right side of the panel and hover the mouse above the task manager till you see a move cursor. Try right clicking or pressing Alt + S (for newer versions, Alt + D, S) and see if you can reach the settings window.

enrly
Registered Member
OS
sayakb wrote:You're right clicking on the wrong place (ie, try clicking some place nearer to a window's entry).

Alternatively, click on the cashew towards the right side of the panel and hover the mouse above the task manager till you see a move cursor. Try right clicking or pressing Alt + S (for newer versions, Alt + D, S) and see if you can reach the settings window.

anywhere i click i seem to get the same thing the alt/s and alt/s/d doesnt do anything all i can get too is the panel settings which let me change the size or make it always visible not change what i want too... is there any other way i can get to the settings window?
Hans
Administrator
OS
Which KDE version? In newer versions there's a small green arrow you can click on:

Plasma HowTo - Configure Widget

Only left click is used - see that arrow in the upper left corner of the widget (clock)?

The panel itself doesn't show any windows, but it can contain widgets. The widget that shows the windows is the taskmanager - that's the one you have to configure. The standard panel has several widgets, including a clock, system tray and taskmanager.

Problem solved? Please click on "Accept this answer" below the post with the best answer to mark your topic as solved.

10 things you might want to do in KDE | Open menu with Super key | Mouse shortcuts
annew
Manager
OS
enrly wrote:anywhere i click i seem to get the same thing

Have you told us which version of KDE you are using? I haven't seen it.

It's important that you find an empty bit of the taskbar. If you have too many applications open you may not be able to reach the correct place. Try moving to another desktop where you have little or nothing open. A right-click should show you

Task Manager Settings
Remove this Task Manager
Panel Options.

The top one is the one you want.

annew, proud to be a member of KDE forums since 2008-Oct and a KDE user since 2002.
Join us on http://userbase.kde.org
Hans
Administrator
OS
If your taskbar is full, you can click on the cashew (yellow icon to the right in the panel) before right clicking. Then you can click anywhere on the widget. Or use the green arrow if you use a newer version, as shown in the screencast I linked to earlier.

Problem solved? Please click on "Accept this answer" below the post with the best answer to mark your topic as solved.

10 things you might want to do in KDE | Open menu with Super key | Mouse shortcuts
annew
Manager
OS
The green arrow can be difficult to see and use. Instead, try the panel cashew, then right-click anywhere on the taskbar (even on top of an icon) and you should be able to get Taskbar Settings.

annew, proud to be a member of KDE forums since 2008-Oct and a KDE user since 2002.
Join us on http://userbase.kde.org
devnulljp
Registered Member

Re: how do I only show active windows

Mon Oct 26, 2009 11:24 pm
enrly.
Right click on empty part of the panel gives me the same as you:
Add widgets
Add Panel
Lock widgets
Panel settings
Remove this panel

But, click on the yellow cashew, then right click on the panel somewhere (not on the icons on the task bar on the right; over there on the left, even on top of a displayed app) and you'll get Taskmanager Settings -> Only show apps from current desktop and you're good to go.
yamushk
Registered Member
devnulljp,

Thanks for your help but... It doesn't matter where I click - I can never find Taskmanager Settings -> Only show apps from current desktop.
I have a worst problem - the applications don't appear at all on none of the desktops.

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1378468

So I guess the place where it's supposed to be empty is not accessible to me, because there is not empty space... all the icons are moved to the left.

Is there another way to get to that menu?
Hans
Administrator
OS
Sounds like you're missing the "Task Manager" widget. Try to add it to your panel:

This is for KDE SC 4.4, but it works in a similar way in previous KDE SC versions - it's just the widget explorer that looks different. Search for "Task Manager" and drag it to your panel. If dragging doesn't work, you can also double click (if you've followed the steps in the screencast).

If this doesn't help, could you please take a screenshot of your problem?

yamushk
Registered Member
No, I do have the application launcher, just the active application do not appear on the taskbar. You see - all the icons that are supposed to be aligned to the right - have been moved to the left and all the active applications are gone. I DO have active applications open on the screen shot that I sent - but you can't see them on the taskbar.

I put 2 screen shots - let me know if that gives you an idea:

Thanks a lot for your help!

Hmmm... Didn't find where to upload the screen shot to this message, so here are the links:
http://www.webiusdesign.com/tmp/desktop0.png
http://www.webiusdesign.com/tmp/desktop1.png

Woops, in the other thread (http://georgia.ubuntuforums.org/showpos ... stcount=14) they helped me: for some reason the task manager widget was not active or suddenly removed. I got it back now, so I can see my active applications at the bottom, the icons are on the right and I even managed to get into the screen of showing only the current desktop application (although I didn't want that - just wanted to see the applications!)

http://www.webiusdesign.com/tmp/desktop2.png

Thank you so much for your help!
linux101
Registered Member
hey,
Im running kubuntu 11 I had the same problem my active window disappeared it was a pain in the butt,

right click on your taskbar
click on remove this panel
a window will popup to replace the taskbar right click it (add panel)

and the job was done
hope i helped