This forum has been archived. All content is frozen. Please use KDE Discuss instead.

How to create your own personalized theme?

Tags: None
(comma "," separated)
viking_maniac
Registered Member
OS
First of all I want to say hello as a new member of this community. :)

I also want to say that I'm using KDE for the first time in Linux (Kubuntu 9.10), and it actually makes Windows 7 look somewhat poor; so I'm definitively impressed! More like ... shocked!

BTW, I see that there are a lot of desktop themes available on the net made by other people, Kubuntu supports automatic downloads of KDE themes. But I'm one of those who loves to make things myself from scratch; and I'm wondering how to make a complete new (or edit any) desktop theme in KDE 4.3?

I mainly want to customize the transparency and color on the bottom main menu, like you can in Gnome, and the shape and style of it. Do I need some specific tools or software to do this?

I think I should also add that I'm somewhat new with Linux in general.

Thanks in advance!
bcooksley
Administrator
OS
You may find some relevant information here: http://techbase.kde.org/Development/Tut ... asma/Theme

KDE Sysadmin
[img]content/bcooksley_sig.png[/img]
baxksterjohnmoli
Registered Member
Is this still current? It says the article was last edited in 2015, so I would assume that the information contained does not pertain anymore to the current 2020 Version of KDE. Is there a newer version?
It is super important to date your articles in the web, since they might be super obsolete and wasting people's time by talking about a very old KDE version.
Mamarok
Manager
OS
The article clearly states Plasma 4, and since it is a wiki you can check the history of it, not really rocket science in find out the dates.

FWIW: there is no such thing as a KDE version, it is called "Plasma desktop" since 12 years now, KDE is the name of the community behind it.

FWIW2: if you only bothered for a second to look at the Forum structure you might have found the Plasma 5 subforum...

FWIW3: https://kdee.org points you to the most recent Plasma version, too

Running Kubuntu 22.10 with Plasma 5.26.3, Frameworks 5.100.0, Qt 5.15.6, kernel 5.19.0-23 on Ryzen 5 4600H, AMD Renoir, X11
FWIW: it's always useful to state the exact Plasma version (+ distribution) when asking questions, makes it easier to help ...