This forum has been archived. All content is frozen. Please use KDE Discuss instead.

how can I put a plasmoid above a window?

Tags: None
(comma "," separated)
VeraS
Registered Member
I, i'm using Kubuntu since a couple of months and I like it (especially KDE) very much.

I'm still customizing my desktop according to my tastes, and I would like to put some plasmoids above all the other windows (firefox, kmail, etc.). Where is the option to keep a plasmoid above everything else on the desktop? Is there such an option? I can't seem to find it.

Thanks for your help.
Hans
Administrator
OS
Currently this is not possible, but you can achieve something similar in different ways:

1. Put the plasmoid(s) in a panel, and set the Panel Visibility to "Windows go below". (How you configure the panel).
The disadvantage is that the panel has to be at a screen edge.

2. Use plasmoidviewer. It's not really intended for this, so I don't know how well it works. One disadvantage is that the window is opaque, which might look a bit ugly.

Anyway, you can do like this:
i) Run
Code: Select all
plasmoidviewer --list

in a terminal to get a list of all plasmoids.

ii) Let's say you want the "tasks" widget. Run
Code: Select all
plasmoidviewer tasks

iii) Right click on the window border and choose Advanced -> Keep above others, To Desktop -> All Desktops and Advanced -> No Border.

iv) There are still some more things you'll need to do (to make it autostart, set its position, remove the window from the taskbar etc.) If you like this approach I can (try to) give you more details.

Phew! As said, plasmoidviewer wasn't really created for this kind of usage.

Problem solved? Please click on "Accept this answer" below the post with the best answer to mark your topic as solved.

10 things you might want to do in KDE | Open menu with Super key | Mouse shortcuts
VeraS
Registered Member
method (ii) is very clever, thank you! As you said is not the perfect solution but it will work for now.

dunno if you have this kind of information, but may I ask if the feature I want is someway planned or if there is an insuperable technical difficulty (or a design choice) that prevents such a feature to be implemented?
Hans
Administrator
OS
I'm pretty sure that it won't be implemented (design choice). Widgets are not windows and vice versa.
With that said, it should be possible to make floating panels which are always on top.

Do you need more information on how to make it keep its window properties, autostart etc.? You can use Window-Specific Rules for the former (System Settings -> Window Behavior -> Window-Specific). Autostart: System Settings -> Advanced -> Autostart. I don't think you can make the plasmoid remember its settings, however.

Just ask if you need more details. If you feel that the original question is answered, please mark the topic as solved.

Problem solved? Please click on "Accept this answer" below the post with the best answer to mark your topic as solved.

10 things you might want to do in KDE | Open menu with Super key | Mouse shortcuts