This forum has been archived. All content is frozen. Please use KDE Discuss instead.

Changing wallpaper issue

Tags: None
(comma "," separated)
schmidtbag
Registered Member
OS

Changing wallpaper issue

Sun May 30, 2010 12:45 am
so using the program aphophysis-j, i like to create animated abstract wallpapers. before using kde, i used wallpapoz. wallpapoz was a pretty nice program - it would change the picture automatically, you could modify the order of the pictures, you could change wallpapers based on desktop; it was mainly useful for gnome.

i like how kde4 has support for automatically changing wallpapers built in from a specific folder, but, when the pictures change they're in a random order. this makes some of my animations look faulty. is there a way to make it so the pictures change in a sequential order with the built-in feature?

Arch Linux 64 bit
TheBlackCat
Registered Member
OS

Re: Changing wallpaper issue

Mon May 31, 2010 11:40 pm
Have you tried Wally? There is a KDE 4 wallpaper plugin and it looks like it has a lot of options, although I have not tried it myself.

Man is the lowest-cost, 150-pound, nonlinear, all-purpose computer system which can be mass-produced by unskilled labor.
-NASA in 1965
schmidtbag
Registered Member
OS

Tue Jun 01, 2010 2:36 pm
lol for a qt4 program, i'm surprised that its specifically going to crash in debian based kde4 systems. i would really prefer not to install something but i might if there really is no other solution. i just find it kind of unnecessary to install a program that changes the wallpaper when the DE has a feature for that built in when all that needs is just a couple more options

Arch Linux 64 bit
TheBlackCat
Registered Member
OS

Tue Jun 01, 2010 6:12 pm
The KDE slideshow is for moving through collections of pictures, I don't think it was ever intended for movies.

Man is the lowest-cost, 150-pound, nonlinear, all-purpose computer system which can be mass-produced by unskilled labor.
-NASA in 1965
schmidtbag
Registered Member
OS

Wed Jun 02, 2010 1:38 pm
no i'm not trying to make a movie, i just have like 10 pictures for 1 wallpaper collection that change over time. that way, it appears i'm using the same wallpaper every day but it gives itself variety and "life". occasionally its ok if they're randomized if they have no movement in them, but ones like what i made this month does move, so it looks choppy and disorganized when it isn't played in the correct order

Arch Linux 64 bit
TheBlackCat
Registered Member
OS

Wed Jun 02, 2010 6:30 pm
schmidtbag wrote:but ones like what i made this month does move

And that is, by definition a movie.

-NASA in 1965
schmidtbag
Registered Member
OS

Wed Jun 02, 2010 6:55 pm
not necessarily, the definition of a changing picture is a slideshow. a movie is a series of pictures to form an animation that is indistinguishable from individual frames, and at least contains music. therefore, a movie can also be categorized as a "motion picture". what i made is only meant to change after every few minutes, to make a subtle difference, so its more like a slideshow than anything. kde even calls the feature a slideshow, but it just randomizes the outputted picture, and thats why i created this post in the first place - so it won't be random.

i just figured that there's some hidden option that can manipulate the order of the slideshow. gnome had stuff like that by using gconf-editor; you could manipulate so many random things that it didn't let you do thru a gui.

Arch Linux 64 bit
TheBlackCat
Registered Member
OS

Thu Jun 03, 2010 1:46 am
Either I misunderstand what you are saying or we are using different definitions. Whatever the case it was not designed for sequences of images that are connected in some way and thus have to be shown in a particular order. That is usually not what people mean when they say "slideshow".

As for hidden options, that is rare for KDE, since it is considered bad usability (why have options if people can't use them?). That is why hidden options are is usually restricted only to features that either are not ready for widespread use or are fundamentally flawed in some way.

-NASA in 1965
schmidtbag
Registered Member
OS

Thu Jun 03, 2010 1:56 am
well a slideshow is often sequential. like when someone shows pictures from a trip, they like to show them in the order the events happened.

i have noticed that kde doesn't seem to hide anything, and i REALLY like that. i actually switched to kde because gnome was beginning to be more and more simple and restricting, and honestly even if gnome reverses that i'm still not going back, kde does everything i want... except for this 1 thing. its not really a big deal, it'd just be nice

Arch Linux 64 bit
xweb
Registered Member
OS

Thu Oct 14, 2010 4:04 am
Don't play with the trolls!