This forum has been archived. All content is frozen. Please use KDE Discuss instead.

Balloon tooltips over launcher buttons on taskbar (mouseover effects?)

Tags: None
(comma "," separated)
rpkemp
Registered Member
I really want to get rid of the pop up balloons that appear when you leave the mouse over an application launcher button in the taskbar. I have known for some time now the difference between my Kontact icon and my Firefox icon, and the balloons get in the way and annoy me.

I haven't been able to find any means of turning them off in KDE 4.1 on my Mandriva 2009 system, however.

I know this is not a new issue, that the balloons were controversial in KDE 3, and I can't believe I'm raising it, but I have absolutely failed to find any authoritative discussion of, or solution to, this issue elsewhere. Shoot me down in flames if it's somewhere obvious and I've missed it.

Thanks.

Rob
irina_r
Alumni
OS
rpkemp wrote:I really want to get rid of the pop up balloons that appear when you leave the mouse over an application launcher button in the taskbar. I have known for some time now the difference between my Kontact icon and my Firefox icon, and the balloons get in the way and annoy me.

Oh yes, especially the huge snap-preview style popups of minimised windows.

When your taskbar is not completely full, you can right-click on an empty space, choose Task Manager Settings, and uncheck Show Tooltips. Worked for me in 4.1.2 on Kubuntu, anyway.

rpkemp
Registered Member
Thanks for the suggestion. However, I don't have that option in my task manager settings dialogue. Maybe some Mandriva customization is responsible and I should ask over there. (Or maybe Kubuntu did a customization, in which case thumbs up to Kubuntu!)

Rob
jrick
Registered Member
OS
Plasma tooltips are coming in 4.2, so if any distros have them already, they are backported.

Type Colemak!

Proud, Conservative Republican

"Gentlemen! You can't fight in here! This is the war room!"
--President Merkin Muffley, Dr. Strangelove
avix
Registered Member
rpkemp wrote:Thanks for the suggestion. However, I don't have that option in my task manager settings dialogue. Maybe some Mandriva customization is responsible and I should ask over there. (Or maybe Kubuntu did a customization, in which case thumbs up to Kubuntu!)

Rob

nope, doesn't show in Fedora 10 either.