This forum has been archived. All content is frozen. Please use KDE Discuss instead.

Menu Folders not displayed

Tags: None
(comma "," separated)
JAB Creations
Registered Member
OS

Menu Folders not displayed

Sun Oct 03, 2010 11:16 am
I've been customizing the application launcher "start menu" and the games folder is now stuck inside of sub-folders. When I drag it out it keeps making copies of it! Is there a folder I can use Dolphin to navigate to and manually dog-slap this the way I want it or have I encountered some sort of bug? On the up-side I like how much I can customize the start menu by having folders like Internet and Multimedia directly in the main menu versus XP's programs folder.
Hans
Administrator
OS

Re: Menu Folders not displayed

Sun Oct 03, 2010 11:26 am
Right click on the menu icon -> Menu Editor. Drag as you want.

Problem solved? Please click on "Accept this answer" below the post with the best answer to mark your topic as solved.

10 things you might want to do in KDE | Open menu with Super key | Mouse shortcuts
JAB Creations
Registered Member
OS

Sun Oct 03, 2010 11:29 am
That's what I've been doing.

In Windows the start menu has two directories where you can simply manipulate the menus in the programs folder via the file system; is that the same in Kubuntu? The Menu Editor is hiding the games folder and forcing it as a sub-menu no matter what I do. GUI stuff isn't rocket science and I know it should be working the way I'm working with it though it isn't regardless.
Hans
Administrator
OS

Sun Oct 03, 2010 2:11 pm
OK, I thought you meant that you dragged in the menu itself. That's weird though - sounds like a bug in KMenuEditor. I think I encountered something similar back in the KDE3 days, but nowadays I don't customize it much (I launch most stuff from Alt+F2 or keyboard shortcuts).

I don't know how the menu system works, but I don't think there's an equivalent to the Windows system. Sure you can get something similar by entering Applications:/ in Dolphin, but you can't move items around.

Let's hope someone else can answer this.
(I found something in ~.config/menus/, but as I don't know how it works, I can't recommend anything. Experiment on your own risk. :P)

Problem solved? Please click on "Accept this answer" below the post with the best answer to mark your topic as solved.

10 things you might want to do in KDE | Open menu with Super key | Mouse shortcuts
TheBlackCat
Registered Member
OS

Sun Oct 03, 2010 3:45 pm
Have you tried dragging the "Games" directory to the left? That seems to move things up in the heirarchy for me. If that does not work I would submit a bug report.

In windows the start menu applications list literally is a folder on the filesystem containing some subdirectories and some links. This is not the case with KDE. Although you could always post a brainstorm forum idea to allow people to manipulate their menu structure in the Applications: kio slave, although it might be rejected by developers or down-voted because of the risk of seriously messing up your menu structure

Man is the lowest-cost, 150-pound, nonlinear, all-purpose computer system which can be mass-produced by unskilled labor.
-NASA in 1965
JAB Creations
Registered Member
OS

Mon Dec 27, 2010 12:54 am
Late reply, things got really crazy for a few months...

Yes this is definitely a bug and unfortunately some bug in the update system won't let me patch everything up to see if it's been fixed.

Here is a screen shot...

http://img403.imageshack.us/img403/3356/menubug.png

I'd post the bug report myself though I'm using VMware server so I think it would be better for someone to test it who is not running an emulated copy of Kubuntu. I used to use Linux distros with VirtualBox though after the Oracle disaster err I mean takeover everything went to the opposite of good.

I'd be happy to help out with the bug report however I can including any logs and stuff, just no fiddling in the console to do stuff like copy and pasting files though if it's a console-only capable thing then I don't mind.

How the menu appears in the editor is how I was trying to organize the menu that appears at the bottom without the games folder.

I can try the update manage again and maybe the issue will go away. Just let me know if I can do anything to help and I'll be glad to.