This forum has been archived. All content is frozen. Please use KDE Discuss instead.

[SOLVED]Multi Desktop Wallpapers for each desktop ?

Tags: None
(comma "," separated)
OpenSuSEr
Registered Member
OS
Hi.

I'm new here :D. This is my first post. Don't know if this question is on the right place :D. Sorry about that

1> In KDE 3x one of the multi desktop has its own wallpaper. But KDE 4 isn't.

So do the KDE dev team could make that possible again in the future?

2> In KDE 4.1.2 when i switch back to plain desktop, i can't change the wallpaper :((. Is some thing wrong :-/

I am using OpenSuSE 11 right now with kde 3.5.10 and kde 4.1.2

Thanks

Have Fun!

Last edited by OpenSuSEr on Sat Dec 06, 2008 2:33 am, edited 1 time in total.

OpenSuSEr, proud to be a member of KDE forums since 2008-Oct.
I'm not native English Speaker so something will go wrong

OpenSuSE Linux 11 with KDE 3.5.10 and KDE 4.1.2
Have Fun!

My idol : Cherrie Ying :D an astress
bcooksley
Administrator
OS

RE: KDE Desktop Wallpaper

Fri Oct 24, 2008 10:48 am
Do not know about point 1, however for point 2 can you get to open the desktop configuration dialog? it can ( with the default desktop containment ) be found as a right click option. for the folderview containment it is found as "Folder View Settings" in the cashew on the desktop. Changing the desktop background there should work.

Also KDE 4.0.x lives in the stable repository, KDE 4.2.x in unstable and KDE 4.1.x in factory. so how did you install KDE 4.1.2 from stable?

Last edited by bcooksley on Fri Oct 24, 2008 10:50 am, edited 1 time in total.

KDE Sysadmin
[img]content/bcooksley_sig.png[/img]
OpenSuSEr
Registered Member
OS

Fri Oct 24, 2008 12:27 pm
bcooksley wrote:Do not know about point 1, however for point 2 can you get to open the desktop configuration dialog? it can ( with the default desktop containment ) be found as a right click option. for the folderview containment it is found as "Folder View Settings" in the cashew on the desktop. Changing the desktop background there should work.

Also KDE 4.0.x lives in the stable repository, KDE 4.2.x in unstable and KDE 4.1.x in factory. so how did you install KDE 4.1.2 from stable?

Thanks you

[img=800x600]http://vincent.valentine71.googlepages.com/donthaschangedesktop.jpg[/img]

The right mouse menu don' has config from palin desktop

Kcontrol dont has too. So it only change to folder view only :(

The 4.1.2 is the KDE released is stabe right :D(stabe from the svn)
OK re-check :D KDE 4.1.2 from the factory. Sorry for my stupid :D

Last edited by OpenSuSEr on Fri Oct 24, 2008 11:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Have Fun!

OpenSuSEr
Registered Member
OS

Fri Oct 24, 2008 11:58 pm
https://bugs.kde.org/show_bug.cgi?id=72836

Follow this wishlist.

The multidesktops don't has each background wallpaper but only one :( for not confuse the new user.
This made me feel sad :((

Can you put this on somewhere on kcontrol, don't need active as defaut but for customize :D.

PS: I love this feature when i first come to Linux and KDE :D. This make the diffirent from orther DE or OS :D.

Have Fun!

bcooksley
Administrator
OS
You are using the folderview containment ( silly me i thought you meant the default ). in that case the configuration can be accessed through the cashew ( quarter of a circle in the upper right corner )

KDE Sysadmin
[img]content/bcooksley_sig.png[/img]
mae
Registered Member
I have the same issues in KDE4.
See showthread.php?tid=9248

Proud to be a member of KDE forums since 2008-Oct.

OpenSuSEr
Registered Member
OS
Thanks bcooksley ^^
--------------------
Thanks Mae ^^

That good to hear it's on feature plan :-"

Ok the problem Sholve ^^ waiting for KDE 4.2 :))
but now stick on 3.5.10

Last edited by OpenSuSEr on Sat Oct 25, 2008 9:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Have Fun!

craigg4c
Registered Member
Since the late betas of 0.99 nearly a decade ago, KWM has had the ability to put different wallpaper on each desktop. This is an ergonomic point in its favor, since it helps the user keep both organized and oriented. This ability is now (unfortunately) unique to KDE, and the thought that it was simply abandoned by the v4 planners in favor of still more distracting eye-candy hardly reassures one of the planners' foresight and maturity.

Are you sure grownups are still in charge at KDE central?

Last edited by craigg4c on Sat Nov 22, 2008 12:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
neverendingo
Administrator
OS
This is for sure one of the more unnecessary comments. Would you have followed this and other threads you would see that this particular feature now is going in again. And second, no one ever said this feature will be gone. It simply wasn't implemented till now.
Clearly no need for a comment about the maturity of the devs.

New to KDE Software? - get help from Userbase or ask questions on the Forums
Communicate.
craigg4c
Registered Member
You are right, Never, I overreacted; you have my apologies.

In my own defense I can only say that over the last decade, I have watched as GNOME lost its way first in one direction, then another; as Enlightenment, a body of code containing many fascinating ideas, was never really stabilized because rather than settle down and bulletproof the existing code, its developers were constantly chasing ever cooler effects; as Gecko, originally planned as a lean, fast rewrite of the Netscape engine, gained weight and lost speed to the point that it's almost as much of a crawling memory hog as its predecessor, and so on and so on. Much of my natural optimism and charity has unfortunately been beaten out of me over the years.

And I am utterly horrified by the thought of the same fate awaiting KDE, which I do dearly love. Kate, to take just one example, finally freed us from the lunatic quirkiness of Emacs and the incredible overhead of a statically-linked NEdit; for that alone KDE deserves a statue in the square. I've been building and running KDE since 0.99-beta-godknows, and I can't imagine using my computer without it.

So again I apologize for my overreaction; my only excuse is emotional involvement.
neverendingo
Administrator
OS
That's happens, sure.
I know what you mean. But that was one of the points why KDE4 was written from scratch. Much of the code was simply getting unmaintainable or at least to complex to really port it to Qt4.
So most of it is new, and it needs time and manpower (hint for everybody! ;) ) to finally come back to as much functionality as it had in KDE3.
But you can be sure, the day will come :) .
And with 4.2 around the corner a big step towards that will be done. Stay tuned :)

New to KDE Software? - get help from Userbase or ask questions on the Forums
Communicate.
OpenSuSEr
Registered Member
OS
craigg4c wrote:Since the late betas of 0.99 nearly a decade ago, KWM has had the ability to put different wallpaper on each desktop. This is an ergonomic point in its favor, since it helps the user keep both organized and oriented. This ability is now (unfortunately) unique to KDE, and the thought that it was simply abandoned by the v4 planners in favor of still more distracting eye-candy hardly reassures one of the planners' foresight and maturity.

Are you sure grownups are still in charge at KDE central?

Yeah i know :D and glad that kde 4.1. fix my problem before :D

neverendingo wrote:This is for sure one of the more unnecessary comments. Would you have followed this and other threads you would see that this particular feature now is going in again. And second, no one ever said this feature will be gone. It simply wasn't implemented till now.
Clearly no need for a comment about the maturity of the devs.

Thank you for reply :D and sorry about my post :D
Waiting for 4.2 :D

Yes and i ask because i don't know it jet. And i'm just enter to forum :D
End i think this thread is [Doned] but well seen have to add [SOLVED] not [DONED] so i change doned to solved :D

Thanks for all your post to answer my problem.

Last edited by OpenSuSEr on Sat Dec 06, 2008 2:49 am, edited 1 time in total.

Have Fun!