This forum has been archived. All content is frozen. Please use KDE Discuss instead.

Placing photos on desktop

Tags: None
(comma "," separated)
garym
Registered Member
OS

Placing photos on desktop

Sun Dec 19, 2010 2:52 am
I just reinstalled ML2010.1 One with kde 4.4.3. Previously I was able to show family photos in the middle of the desktop. I was able to set up a slide show from a file in my home directory and view the photos on the desktop. Now the only option I see is in screen saver. I want the photos on the desktop when I am using it. How can I do this??

Thanks, Gary
ozjd
Registered Member
OS

Re: Placing photos on desktop

Sun Dec 19, 2010 4:20 am
There is a plasmoid, Picture Frame, that does what you want.
Hans
Administrator
OS

Sun Dec 19, 2010 11:31 am
If you want to set a slide show as your backgrounds: click on desktop toolbox -> Desktop Settings -> (Wallpaper ->) Type: Slideshow.

Problem solved? Please click on "Accept this answer" below the post with the best answer to mark your topic as solved.

10 things you might want to do in KDE | Open menu with Super key | Mouse shortcuts
garym
Registered Member
OS

Sun Dec 19, 2010 2:29 pm
I didn't have a desktop tool box. I found wallpaper under Folder activity settings. I now have my photos.

I saw picture frame but could not figure out how do download it and install.

I have used kde for 8 years with Mandriva. I am strictly a senior citizen user. All this widget/plasma stuff is beyond my understanding. I must have folder view on my desktop as I have all my icons there.

Thank you both for your help.

Gary
TheBlackCat
Registered Member
OS

Sun Dec 19, 2010 3:44 pm
Plasma is everything on your desktop, including your icons, wallpaper, panel, task manager, application launcher, system tray, and so on. They all use the same underlying code, and so can be easily moved around or modified.

Man is the lowest-cost, 150-pound, nonlinear, all-purpose computer system which can be mass-produced by unskilled labor.
-NASA in 1965
john_hudson
Registered Member
OS

Tue Dec 21, 2010 7:40 pm
Picture frame is a widget; click Add widgets>Graphics to find it.

John Hudson, proud to be a member of KDE forums since 2008-Oct.
TheBlackCat
Registered Member
OS

Tue Dec 21, 2010 8:30 pm
From 4.5 (maybe even 4.4) you should just be able to drag and drop the picture on the desktop and it will give you the option to make a picture frame applet.

Man is the lowest-cost, 150-pound, nonlinear, all-purpose computer system which can be mass-produced by unskilled labor.
-NASA in 1965