This forum has been archived. All content is frozen. Please use KDE Discuss instead.

Activities in Plasma Workspaces

Tags: None
(comma "," separated)
jack2smith1988
Registered Member
OS

Re: Activities in Plasma Workspaces

Sat Jun 30, 2012 6:37 pm
Plasma Desktop in 4.6.0

January, 26th 2011. KDE is happy to announce the immediate availability of Plasma Desktop and Plasma Netbook 4.6. The Plasma Workspaces have seen both polish in existing functionality as well as the introduction of significant new innovations extending Plasma's capabilities further towards a more semantic, task-driven workflow.

The Activities system has been redesigned making it easier to take advantage of them. By right clicking to the window title, you can now make applications and files part of an activity. Changing to this activity, the Plasma workspace will show you what you need when you need it. The process for adding, renaming and removing Activities has also been improved.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------
ArneBab
Registered Member
OS

Thu Jan 24, 2013 10:37 am
bcooksley wrote:I can confirm the Activity Bar is still being actively maintained.

What I’m missing in the bar is the ability to plug it into a vertical control panel. More exactly: I miss it turning by 90° to keep the text readable. And in the right control bar it is huge, when the control bar is fixed to the upper right (on the left, fixed to the bottom, it strangely is not).

Also I miss the option of having it show icons. Are any of those planned?

And should I report them in the bugtracker?
bcooksley
Administrator
OS

Fri Feb 08, 2013 8:00 am
Both of those should be reported in the bug tracker. The text being misdisplayed in a vertical panel is a bug, while the display of icons is a feature request.

KDE Sysadmin
[img]content/bcooksley_sig.png[/img]
moofang
Registered Member

Sun Oct 27, 2013 7:47 am
Hi, the link to my blog post is broken now since my old domain provider kind of bit the dust. The new link for "The Rise of Plasma Activities and What it can do for You" is:

http://yuenhoe.com/blog/2011/01/the-ris ... o-for-you/

Just a heads up :)

Hans
Administrator
OS

Sun Oct 27, 2013 2:18 pm
Thanks for letting us know! I've updated the links in the first post and on my blog.

Problem solved? Please click on "Accept this answer" below the post with the best answer to mark your topic as solved.

10 things you might want to do in KDE | Open menu with Super key | Mouse shortcuts
sirasetj
Registered Member

Fri Nov 01, 2013 8:26 am
Hi All,
I like Activities very much. But I curious about if I have many Activities such as 3. If I pause some of them or let's them all in unpause state. Would it affect to performance or memory usage?

einar
Administrator
OS

Wed Mar 12, 2014 6:42 am
I think that whatever is running in a paused activity is essentially stopped, so impact on the system should be minimal.

"Violence is the last refuge of the incompetent."
Plasma FAQ maintainer - Plasma programming with Python
ivan
KDE Developer
OS

Wed Mar 12, 2014 8:03 am
The running activities are loaded in plasma, the stopped ones are not. That, and the fact that there are no running applications in the stopped activities is the only difference.

I have not tested how much memory a single activity in plasma takes. Probably depends a lot on applets you have set up in it.