This forum has been archived. All content is frozen. Please use KDE Discuss instead.

keep Losing K menu in kde4 after reboot

Tags: None
(comma "," separated)
mjnunneley
Registered Member
I cannot seem to keep my panel arrangement after a reboot. I change the K Menu to use the old style menu and when I reboot my clock and the space where the volume control, update icon etc is, are over on the left instead of the right, AND no K Menu. I can add it manually but it won't stay. Any ideas?

Thanks

I am running
OpenSuse 11.0
Nvidia 8500 GT
3gigs Ram
250 SATA
bcooksley
Administrator
OS
Try removing the files plasmarc & plasma-appletsrc in ~/.kde4/share/config/
Your plasma configuration may be damaged causing plasma to be silently crashing in the middle of writing your configuration.

KDE Sysadmin
[img]content/bcooksley_sig.png[/img]
mjnunneley
Registered Member
bcooksley wrote:Try removing the files plasmarc & plasma-appletsrc in ~/.kde4/share/config/
Your plasma configuration may be damaged causing plasma to be silently crashing in the middle of writing your configuration.

Thanks for the suggestion. But, alas, to no avail. I can start with a fresh .kde4 and if I make any change at all to my panel, upon reboot, the clock will be all the way on the left and the often the "start" widget is gone altogether.

I have the latest updates installed.

Any more ideas? I am going insane

Michael
bcooksley
Administrator
OS
Are you using the latest Qt from KDE:Qt? you can see my instructions here, about how it can make you think you are updated, but are not. You may also wish to use those steps on the KDE 4 Factory repositories as well.

Last edited by bcooksley on Mon Nov 24, 2008 1:09 am, edited 1 time in total.

KDE Sysadmin
[img]content/bcooksley_sig.png[/img]
rwfranz
Registered Member
How are you accomplishing the reboot?

I discovered that I have to use the LEAVE button, and then one of the followup buttons ("turn off computer" or "reboot computer"), in order for KDE to save its settings.